Amy Lou Adams (born August 20, 1974) is an Acdemy Award-nominated American actress and singer. Best known for her roles as Princess Giselle in Enchanted, and for portraying the hard nose tough as nails reporter and primary love interest of Superman, Lois Lane in 2013's summer blockbuster film Man of Steel and will reprise the role in the upcoming film's sequel Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice in 2016 and Justice League in 2017. She made a guest appearance in the Smallville Season One episode Craving, as Jodi Melville. Adams was born in Vicenza, Italy, the fourth of seven children of American parents Richard Kent and Kathryn (née Hicken) Adams.
After a series of television guest appearances and roles in B movies and TV series including Buffy the Vampire Slayer, That 70's Show, The Office, The West Wing and Charmed, Adams was cast in the role of Brenda Strong in 2002's Catch Me If You Can. Her breakthrough role was in the 2005 independent film Junebug, playing Ashley Johnsten, for which she received critical acclaim and her first Acdemy Award nomination, for Best Supporting Actress.
Adams subsequently starred in Disney's 2007 film Enchanted, a critical and commercial success, and received a Golden Globe Award nomination for her performance as Princess Giselle. She received her second Academy Award and Golden Globe Award nominations the following year for her role as a young nun, Sister James, in Doubt. Though she has appeared in a range of dramatic and comedic roles, Adams originally gained a reputation for playing characters with cheerful and sunny dispositions but has since played a wider variety of roles. After Adams auditioned several times for the role in different productions, she was cast as Lois Lane in the 2013 Superman film Man of Steel & reprise her role in the 2016 film Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice and Justice League in 2017.
- Leslie Miller in Drop Dead Gorgeous (1999)
- Marvel Ann in Psycho Beach Party (2000)
- Kathryn Merteuil in Cruel Intentions 2 (2000)
- Jodi Melville in Smallville (2001)
- Alex in Pumpkin (2002)
- Kate in Serving Sara (2002)
- Brenda Strong in Catch Me if You Can (2002)
- Alice Doherty in Dr. Vegas (2004)
- Amy in The Wedding Date (2005)
- Elise in Standing Still (2005)
- Katy in The Office (2005-2006)
- Susan in Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby (2006)
- Abby March in Fast Track (2006)
- Polly in Underdog (2007)
- Giselle in Enchanted (2007)
- Bonnie Bach in Charlie Wilson's War (2007)
- Rose Lorkowski in Sunshine Cleaning (2008)
- Delysia in Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day (2008)
- Sister James in Doubt (2008)
- Amealia Earhart in Night at the Museum: Battle of the Smithsonian (2009)
- Julie Powell in Julie & Julia (2009)
- Anna Brady in Leap Year (2010)
- Charlene Fleming in The Fighter (2010)
- Mary in The Muppets (2011)
- Janis Joplin in Janis Joplin: Get It While You Can (2012)
- Lois Lane in Man of Steel (2013) / Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (2016) / Justice League (2017)
- Man of Steel was Amy Adams's third attempt at playing the role of Lois Lane in a feature film. She first read for Lois Lane in Brett Ratner's abandoned film, then for Superman Returns. Adams has stated that it became ridiculous and this time she had to play Lois and put her stamp on it.
- Amy Adams is the seventh actress in live action to portray Lois Lane in film and television, the others being Noel Neill, Phyllis Coates, Margot Kidder, Teri Hatcher, Erica Durance, and Kate Bosworth.
- Adams also tested for the role of Rachel Dawes in Batman Begins. On Christopher Nolan's request, she auditioned with all the actors considered for the role, including Jake Gyllenhall, Joshua Jackson, Cillian Murphy and Christian Bale.
- Even though Lois is usually depicted in comics, film and television as a brunette ever since her creation, Adams portrays Lois as a redhead. Her version of the character resembles the original comic book version of Lana Lang (curiously, the young Lana is the brunette one in Man of Steel).
- Her father is named Richard Kent Adams.