Annette O'Toole (born April 1, 1952) is the actress who plays Martha Kent in Smallville. In 1983, Annette played the role of Lana Lang alongside Christopher Reeve in Superman III. A big Superman fan, Annette came into the part of Martha to replace Cynthia Ettinger, who played her in the Smallville pilot.
CareerAnnette was born in Houston, Texas, on April 1, 1952. Annette started dancing at the early age of 3. At 13, her family moved to Los Angeles and she began taking acting lesson at a very young age doing guest appearances in shows like My Three Sons, The Partridge Family, and The Virginian. Her first big break came when she starred in the 1975 feature film Smile as a conniving beauty pageant contestant. Since then, O'Toole has appeared on the big screen in 48 Hrs. playing Nick Nolte's character's girlfriend, the 1982 remake of Cat People directed by Paul Schrader, Here on Earth with Chris Klein and Leelee Sobieski, One on One, King of the Gypsies, Cross My Heart and Love at Large. She has also done many theater productions. She had recurring roles in Nash Bridges and appeared on the USA Network series The Huntress during the 2000-2001 season. The song "A Kiss At The End Of The Rainbow," written for A Mighty Wind by Annette and her husband, was nominated for an Oscar. She has also been nominated for Emmys and Golden Globe Awards for her portrayal of Rose Kennedy in the television miniseries The Kennedys of Massachusetts. Her numerous television movie credits include The War Between the Tates as a student involved with her professor; Stand By Your Man, in which she showcased her singing voice playing country music legend Tammy Wynette; Love for Rent, A Girl of the Limberlost, The Entertainer, Stephen King's It and Danielle Steel's Jewels. Her most recent role is Martha Kent on Smallville
- Annette's actual birth name is Annette Toole.
- Her astrological sign is Aries.
- Annette is married to actor Michael McKean, who played Perry White in the Smallville episode Perry.
- She has two daughters from her first marriage.
- She is 5'4, the same height as Allison Mack and Kristin Kreuk.
- She currently lives in Los Angeles.
- She had her first romantic leading role in the movie, One on One.
- One of her interests is knitting.
- She began to perform as a dancer on The Danny Kaye Show at 16.
- She doesn't have a tattoo on her lower back, as many people thought after an scene in the episode Crusade of Smallville. The actress herself answered this question in Twitter:
@JimmyJindo Annette O'Toole (10:29PM April 26)
Nope. Tattoos only look good on Popeye.
- Annette O'Toole likes fellow actress Marcia Cross.
- She had many guest starring roles as a young child.
- She took dancing lessons from her mother who was a dance teacher in Houston.
- Most mothers are proud of their children, and O’Toole felt that way when her television "son", Tom Welling, directed for the first time for the episode Fragile.
- An interview with Annette can be found in Issue 8 of Smallville.
- Smallville .... Martha Kent (132 episodes, 2001-2007)
- The Huntress .... Dottie Thorson (28 episodes, 2000-2001)
- Final Descent (1997) (TV) .... Connie Phipps
- Nash Bridges .... Lisa Bridges (22 episodes, 1996-1998)
- Imaginary Crimes (1994) .... Ginny Rucklehaus
- A Mother's Revenge (1993) .... Ellen Wells
- White Lie (1991) (TV) .... Helen Lester
- Love at Large (1990) .... Mrs. King
- Stephen King's It (1990) .... Adult Beverly Marsh
- Bridge to Terabithia (1985) (TV) .... Miss Edmunds
- Superman III (1983) .... Lana Lang
- 48 Hrs. (1982) .... Elaine
- Foolin' Around (1980) .... Susan
- King of the Gypsies (1978) .... Sharon
- One on One (1977) .... Janet Hays
- Smile (1975) .... Doria Houston (Miss Anaheim)
- My Three Sons .... Tina (1 episode, 1967)