Apokoliptians are a species or group of corrupted extraterrestrials native to or who have a connection with the dark planet Apokolips. Some known Apokoliptians are Desaad, Granny Goodness, Orion and Darkseid. When Apokolips used the magnetic force of the Omega symbols burned into peoples' skulls to pull itself into the Earth, Clark Kent embraced his destiny and pushed it back into the depths of space. Six months after the event now referred to as "Contact", photographic evidence proving the existence of alien life was on the planet Apokolips adorns the internet and newspapers like the Daily Planet across the globe, instilling a mixed sense of concern, fear, as well as wonder.
- Darkseid: A very powerful alien entity associated with the planet Apokolips. He has been part of some of Earth's darkest points in ancient history, but was banished.He returned to Earth to corrupt it once more through a hole in the universe which was created when the Book of Rao was used as a portal to a new world. Re-emerging on Earth, Darkseid sought a vessel to inhabit so that he could directly influence Earth's people and started to gather prophets to further his cause. Darkseid ripped Lionel's still-beating heart out to give to restore Lex while Darkseid used Lionel's corpse as a vessel to face Clark. However, Clark's memories of his heroic experiences gave him the courage to face Darkseid and defeat him.
- Orion: The original keeper of the Bow of Orion and Darkseid's biological son.Rather than being raised by his father he was raised by another being who was dedicated to spreading the light just has much as Darkseid is to spreading darkness. That being's influence ultimately made Orion a powerful ally to the side of light and a key player in one of the early defeats of his father. (Prophecy)
- Darkseid's prophets: Darkseid's closest and most powerful minions.They are:
- Granny Goodness: head administrator of St. Louise's orphanage and leader of the Female Furies. She is fiercely loyal to her master Darkseid. Preparing people for her master, Granny is responsible for wiping their minds clean.
- Desaad: owner of a nightclub called Club Desaad, which is named after himself, works for Darkseid. Preparing people for his master, Desaad is responsible for binding the bodies of people.
- Bow of Orion - A powerful mystical bow that is one of the only weapons capable of killing Darkseid. It was originally owned by the son of Darkseid, Orion.
- Omega symbol - A symbol used by Darkseid to corrupt humans. It controlled humans by marking their skulls.
In the Comics
Apokolips is an ecumenopolis with burning firepits, extant in between dimensions, occupying a 'frequency' somewhere between the physical universe and Hell: the war that destroyed the old gods and created New Genesis and Apokolips separated the Fourth World from the rest of the universe proper, leaving it accessible by Boom Tube.
The population of Apokolips is a downtrodden lot, including many kidnapped from other worlds before being 'broken.' The majority of the population are called "Lowlies", a bald and fearful race that has no sense of self-worth or value. The Lowlies are subject to constant abuse that ends only with death. Slightly above them are the Parademons, who serve as the keepers of order on the planet. Higher above the Parademons are the Female Furies, who are Darkseid's personal guard. (Male Furies also exist, but are less common.) They are blessed with unnatural strength and longevity and are allowed to develop as individuals. This exposure to new concepts often results in them developing comical or garish personalities that contrast strongly with the immense sadism that is required to reach their position. The leaders of the Furies are Granny Goodness, who sports the appearance of a matronly old woman while being the most powerful of the guards, as well as Kanto, who enjoys a unique position as Darkseid's master assassin. The chief guard, Big Barda, had a third position under Granny, which has not been filled since her defection from the group.
Surprisingly, Apokolips is second to New Genesis in technological advancement. With their technology, they are the height of power in most of the universe and are able to devastate galaxies when they choose to use it. Apokoliptian technology is furthermore the source of unparalleled misery in the universe as the planet routinely arms evil groups with advanced technology in order to further its influence (and misery) across the universe.
Apokolips is ruled by Darkseid as its theocratic deity/monarch, but he defers most of the actual day to day ruling to his counselor Desaad. Darkseid has no real contenders for the throne of Apokolips except the demon Mantis, although his sons Orion, Kalibak, as well as Grayven are also potential contenders. Darkseid is cursed by Grayven and Kalibak's stupidity and Orion's service of good. It is prophesied that Orion will overthrow Darkseid. If Darkseid is overthrown, perhaps the results will not cause any major changes on Apokolips, as Apokolips' evil comes from itself rather than its master. This assertion, however, is debatable, as well as it is often said that Darkseid powers Apokolips with his ambient forces, which is where the fire pits come from.
- Darkseid's prophets
- Granny Goodness
- Gordon Godfrey
- Omega symbol
- Bow of Orion
- Omega symbol