|Broadcast Date||April 30, 2009|
| Previous Episode: Stiletto
Next Episode: Injustice
Clark discovers that Davis is still alive and confronts Chloe about hiding him. Oliver discovers Jimmy taking money in Chloe's apartment, but Davis takes both of them prisoner. Later, Clark and Davis face off in the Fortress, but Chloe takes off with Davis.
Davis calls Chloe, telling her to come down to the Talon basement because he had a nightmare. When she goes, she finds that the room is filled with lit candles and flowers. As she is about to leave, Davis thanks Chloe for helping him more than anyone ever has. He hands Chloe a red rose and, while she tries to dismiss the gesture, he comes closer to her and kisses her. She kisses him back but then, noticing blood on the floor, she follows the trail and is horrified to see Clark's corpse hanging from the ceiling, his body having been ripped apart at the waist with a bloody "S" painted on the chest. Chloe gasps with horror. She wakes up and finds that it was all just a nightmare.
The next day, Chloe has a phone call from Davis, asking her to go the basement. Just then, Clark arrives with a copy of the Daily Planet and tells her that Tess has named Davis a serial killer. Chloe assures Clark that Davis is dead despite any "evidence" to the contrary, but Clark is concerned that there was another murder in the style of Doomsday after Davis supposedly died.
Oliver is in a business meeting at the Ace of Clubs when he is found by Jimmy, who asks for $600 to repair his car after being "let go" from his job. Oliver refuses, saying he thinks Jimmy wants it to buy drugs. Jimmy gets angry and leaves.
Chloe meets Dr. Emil Hamilton in his car to ask him to find a cure for Davis. She gives him a sample of Davis's saliva and Emil, although doubtful, says he'll try. After she leaves Emil, Chloe is shocked to find Davis out of the basement. Davis tells Chloe that it is getting increasingly difficult controlling the monster in him and that the only way is for her to stay with him all the time.
They return to the Talon basement, where Chloe proposes that the best thing for everyone is for both of them to run away from Smallville. "You have done more for me in a couple for weeks than anyone else in all my life!" Davis says to her. Chloe replies that she must close a few accounts and close off any paper trails and that they can be on the highway by sunset.
Clark goes to Oliver and asks for his help with keeping Chloe safe from Doomsday. He says he went to the grave and saw that Davis had clearly dug his way out from the inside. Clark decides to go to the Fortress to see how to send Doomsday to the Phantom Zone, but Oliver tells Clark that he must kill Davis and finish him once and for all. Clark says he will not take a life, not even Doomsday, and that it is his problem and he will take care of it.
Chloe talks with Emil via webcam asking him how to help Davis, but the doctor explains that he has never seen such a genetic makeup. He says the nuclei keep mutating and that when he kills a cell, it somehow becomes stronger. Emil further mentions that serious body changes can be triggered by strong emotions such as love and hate, and tells Chloe that Davis's control rests in her hands. Just as she finishes her conversation, Clark comes in and tells her that he plans to lure Davis to the Fortress because he has a crystal that can open the portal to the Phantom Zone. Chloe objects to the idea of Clark using any item made by Brainiac and that Clark could even get sucked into the Zone himself. Realizing that he will not back down, Chloe sends Clark to Alaska on a false lead.
Oliver goes to Chloe's apartment and finds Jimmy there, stealing Chloe's money. Davis comes in and attacks them, then holds them captive in the basement. When Chloe calls, he tells her what has happened and Jimmy hears Davis talk about leaving Smallville with Chloe. Devastated, Jimmy begins to taunt Davis, but Oliver tries to cool them down. Davis grabs Jimmy and his eyes turn red as he starts to crush Jimmy's skull, but stops when Oliver shouts that Chloe would never forgive him for killing Jimmy. Instead, Davis knocks Jimmy unconscious and decides to kill Oliver instead. He grabs Oliver's neck and begins to choke him. Just then, Clark comes into the Talon looking for Chloe but, using his super hearing, he finds the three in the basement and, moving at super speed, he grabs Davis and runs off with him.
Later, Chloe comes in as the paramedics are taking Jimmy out on a stretcher. He tells her to stay away from "that monster." Oliver and Chloe argue when she says she has the situation under control, but he tells her that her plan was flawed and nearly got him killed. She explains that keeping Davis near her is the only way to keep him from killing people and Clark, but Oliver is still skeptical. He then tells her that Clark took him.
Clark arrives at the Fortress with Davis. Clark explains to Davis about the Fortress, and uses the black crystal to open a portal to the Phantom Zone. Davis declares that he will not be without Chloe and that if he is going, then he will take Clark with him. As they struggle, Chloe arrives, having used the key, and tells Clark that she won't allow him to condemn Davis to an eternity of hell. She deactivates the portal to the Phantom Zone and then leaves with Davis, again using the key.
Jimmy visits Oliver at LuthorCorp where Oliver offers him a job on his staff team. Jimmy refuses at first, but after Oliver compliments his courage for facing the monster, Jimmy accepts.
At the Isis Foundation, Clark is using the computers to find Chloe and Davis when Oliver comes in and tells him that one day Clark will have to make the tough decision because that is what every hero does. Oliver leaves.
The phone rings; it is Chloe calling Clark. She and Davis have stopped at a gas station and Davis is inside, and she tells Clark that she is OK. Chloe says that she doesn't want him to come to find her. Clark is upset and tells her she is in danger, but Chloe insists that she knows what she is doing. Clark asks if she has feelings for Davis, but she says she is doing it for Clark and is ready to sacrifice herself to keep him safe because the world needs him. Clark tells her that he will not stop looking for her. She ends the call and Clark smashes a filing cabnet in frustration.
Chloe quickly wipes away her tears before Davis returns. He gives her a heart-shaped lollipop, and they get in the car and drive away.
- Dr. Emil Hamilton - Alessandro Juliani
- Agent Black - Michael Rogers
- LuthorCorp Underling #2 - David Ingram
- "What You Feel" - Chris Levy
- A beast is a non-human animal or beast-like person.
- The title refers to Doomsday, the persona of Davis Bloome.
- Jimmy realizes that Davis was the creature at his wedding, calling him "the beast."
- Antagonist: Davis Bloome
- Lois Lane and Tess Mercer do not appear in this episode.
- Clark is seen wearing a blue shirt with a blue jacket (though the special effects still show a red-blue blur) for the first time instead of a red shirt with blue jacket or blue shirt with red jacket. This is possibly because his blue shirt and red jacket combo has become his unofficial "Red-Blue Blur" costume.
- This is the first episode in the entire series in which we see someone (Chloe and Davis) use the key at the Fortress to teleport back to the Kawatche Caves.
- This is the first episode in which Davis is seen using super speed.
- This is the last episode to show the coffee shop portion of the Talon.
- In Chloe's nightmare, Clark's corpse has a red "S" painted across his chest, reminiscent of when Clark was made a Scarecrow in the Pilot. This also alludes to the Superman symbol.
- When Chloe arrived at the Fortress, she removes the black crystal that was opening the portal to the Phantom Zone. However, in Season Five's Solitude, Brainiac tricked Clark into using this crystal, stating "I couldn't have done it without you. You're the only one who could affect the Fortress." This alludes to Clark being the only one who could insert or remove this crystal at the Fortress, something that was also brought up in Season Seven's Blue with the crystal that Zor-El uses on the Fortress. Kara tried to remove it but was told by Zor-El that only Clark could remove it. However, the Fortress is still in its damaged state after Legion, and this might have something to do with it.
In Other MediaEdit
- Clark tries to stop Doomsday without killing him by sending him to the Phantom Zone. This is similar to the Justice League Unlimited episode "The Doomsday Sanction," in which Superman and the Justice League send the nearly unstoppable Doomsday into the Phantom Zone after his capture. This use of the Phantom Zone, effectively sentencing Doomsday to life imprisonment without trial, presented massive arguments about the Justice League's right to make such judgments. Batman was especially troubled by this move.
- Chloe has been harboring Davis in the Talon basement since Eternal.
- A.J. was one of Bruno Mannheim's thugs from the previous episode Stiletto who was killed by Doomsday.
- Clark presumed that Davis was killed by kryptonite in Eternal.
- The Fortress of Solitude was last seen in Legion where Brainiac had drained it of all its knowledge, killing Jor-El's connection to it.
- Clark uses the same black crystal that Brainiac inserted into the Fortress console to release Zod from the Phantom Zone in Solitude which was dropped by Brainiac next to the console.
- Emil Hamilton was the doctor who helped Martian Manhunter in Bulletproof.
- Jimmy has been trying to convince people that Davis is a serial killer since Turbulence. In this episode, Oliver praises him for being the first to recognize this.
- This episode marks the 89th appearance of Clark's red jacket & blue shirt outfit, which he wears frequently throughout the series.
- In Enternal, Chloe tried to kill Davis with kryptonite while Clark tried to stop her from doing so, wanting to give him a second chance. The roles are switched in this episode when Clark tries to send Davis to the Phantom Zone and Chloe is the one to stop him. Chloe explains that doing so would be inflicting a state worse than death on Davis and Clark would never forgive himself for such an act.
- This is the only episode in which we see Chloe together with all her past, present and future long-term love interests, Clark, Jimmy, Davis and Oliver, in the scene in the Talon basement.
- Oliver talks Davis out of killing Jimmy by pointing out Chloe would never forgive Davis for killing the man she had loved, so Davis decides to kill Oliver instead. Ironically, Chloe will fall in love with Oliver in Season 9.
- Clark: Chloe, Davis is alive. I have proof and I need to find him.
- Chloe: Well, I'm sure that when he resurfaces, we'll hear about it. He has a habit of crashing his way onto the 6 o'clock news.
- Jimmy: I was hoping that you could spot me 600 bucks, stat. The mechanic called a code blue on my alternator.
- Oliver: Well, you work here. What are they paying you in, Shirley Temples?
- Jimmy: I'm a mediocre photographer turned failed bartender, and I don't remember seeing a job posting for that on CareerBuilder.com.
- Davis: Nothing helps. I tried looking at photos of you, I tried holding strands of your hair. None of it works. This thing inside me starts to claw its way out as soon as you leave. Chloe...I can't be away from you now.
- Clark: It looks like something clawed its way out.
- Oliver: Then that thing's still alive.
- Clark: It went after Chloe before, I think it may try again.
- Oliver: Have you warned her yet?
- Clark: She thinks I'm being paranoid.
- Oliver: "Paranoid." She knows he's obsessed with her, right?
- Emil: Chloe, this creature puts us all in danger. We need to warn people!
- Chloe: You don't want to do that. You betray me, you betray Davis, and you sure as hell don't want to be on his bad side.
- (Oliver & Jimmy find themselves tied up in the Talon basement)
- Oliver: Any idea who did this?
- Jimmy: Not to sound like a broken record, but it was Davis Bloome.
- Davis: (to Jimmy) Bit of advice...you really don't want to upset me right now.
- Oliver: (to Davis) Yeah, trust me, I know. I've seen your horns. You give a whole new meaning to the term "bridezilla."
- Jimmy: Why did you do it? Come on. Every killer's got a sob story. You know, I hear that an unhappy childhood, that's...that's pretty popular.
- Davis: You wouldn't understand.
- Jimmy: (laughs bitterly) Of course not. Because you, uh, you brooding types — you guys are all so complicated.
- Oliver: Look, I know what it's like to jones after a girl. Really, I do, but you can hold on a little bit longer, okay? You have to. Chloe's on her way.
- Davis: Oh, I hope so. I really do. Because if she's not, the only way that I can control myself is if I kill one of you.
- Jimmy: Then kill me. Because you've taken everything from me. All that's left is scar tissue.
- Davis: Sometimes the monster really does get the girl. I'm sorry.
- Oliver: So the needs of the Cornfield Killer outweigh the needs of the rest of the world, is that it?
- Chloe: Oliver, it's complicated—
- Oliver: Oh, it's complicated, yeah. That's the same thing your psychopathic boyfriend told me.
- Jimmy: (storming in) Tell me that your search team has a read on that beast.
- Oliver: I have people on every continent, Jimmy, but so far, no. No castle to storm. Sorry.
- Oliver: It's not a handout. It's your first paycheck.
- Jimmy: Oh, let me guess. It's got 12 steps attached to it.
- Oliver: Well, only if you decide not to take the elevator to your office.
- Jimmy: You make it sound like I'm some kind of hero. Trust me, I'm not.
- Oliver: (to Chloe) When did you become one of the bad guys, huh?
- Oliver: Speaking as Davis' next victim, I can tell you, your plan was seriously flawed. How did you think this was gonna end, Chloe?
- Chloe: I'll find him, okay? I'll fix this.
- Oliver: No. You won't. I think you've done enough. We'll let Clark handle it from here.
- Chloe: Clark, you can't send Davis there.
- Clark: Chloe, he has killed over 50 people. He put Jimmy in the hospital. There's nothing more I can do for him!
- Chloe: No, I'm talking about you! I mean, what if when you open the portal, it sucks you in?
- Clark: You once told me that if there was no other choice, that you hoped I would put the good of the world first.
- Chloe: Exactly! And losing you is not good for the world!
- Oliver: Kick his ass, Clark. Get this thing out of our lives, once and for all.
- Clark: You want me to kill him.
- Oliver: No. I need you to kill him.
- Davis: (to Clark) You wanna throw down with me? Good luck.
- Clark: It'll send you to a world where you don't have to hide who you are any longer.
- Davis: A world without Chloe? No, you'd better have a Plan B, because I'm not losing her.
- Clark: Davis must have done something to her. Chloe would never lie to me if she weren't trapped.
- Oliver: Either that, or she just can't resist tall, dark and Doomsday.
- Clark: Chloe would never care about him.
- Oliver: Clark, she sent you on a wild goose chase to Alaska when she was hiding that psycho-killer in the basement! Take it from a guy who spent $10 billion on a merger with the girl that got away. You don't always choose who you fall for.
- Oliver: Clark, I know you wanna save everybody. But eventually, you're going to have to make the tough decisions. It's what heroes do.
- Davis: (to Chloe) You wouldn't be able to say goodbye to anyone, not even Clark. Can you do that? Can you honestly tell me that I am the most important person in your life?
- Chloe: Everything I've ever done, right or wrong, I did for you.
- Clark: By running away? Admit it, Chloe, you have feelings for Davis. That's why you're protecting him.
- Chloe: Clark, I'm protecting you! I meant what I said. Condemning Davis to a life as that monster is worse than killing him.
- Clark: But what about you, Chloe? Chloe, I'm gonna spend every second looking for you. I will find a way to save you!
- Chloe: Clark, you're not here to save one person, you're here to save all of us.
- Chloe: I must have thrown a million green rocks away and I've never really saved you. Now, I can.
- Clark: Chloe, listen to me, this is your life that we're talking about. Don't do this!
- Chloe: Clark, if there's one lesson I've learned from you, it's that choosing the greater good is never a sacrifice.
|Episodes: Season 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7 · 8 · 9 · 10|