|Chimera, Part 1|
|Series||Smallville Comic #3|
| Previous Story: What I Did On My Summer Vacation
Next Story: Vows
After the recent shooting of Lionel, Lex heads to Metropolis to visit with his prep school friend, Malcolm Barnes. To his shock, he arrives to find Malcolm has been murdered and that some letters were planted to frame him for the murder. When he's held for question by the FBI, Lex discovers that his Swiss bank account is empty. He figures that his father is the only one who could have done it, and visits with him (with the intent to shoot him).
(Credit for the recap information goes to Neal Bailey from Superman Homepage.)
Clark and Lex share coffee a short time after Jonathan is accused falsely of attempting to kill Lionel. They recall how Ethan was the real killer, and how difficult Dominic was to deal with.
Lex gets a call from Metropolis, and excuses himself to go see the man who called, his old friend from prep school, Malcolm. His ONLY friend from prep school. He's been doing hieroglyphics from the Kawatche Caves for Lex.
Clark tells Lex not to forget his own birthday.
When Lex goes to his friend's apartment, he finds him dead, on the floor, with one of Lex's knives in his chest. He also finds letters from Lex Luthor, letters he hasn't written, on the floor, threatening Malcolm. He calls the police, takes the evidence, and leaves.
Clark encourages Lex to turn himself in, even though he knows that he is innocent. SWAT team goons blow through the window and surround them, taking Lex.
Clark throws off the goons and runs after Lex, who they are throwing into a van. They shoot Clark with semi-autos as they close the door on Lex. Lex is horrified. His only two friends are gone.
In the van, men claiming to be government agents ask him why he killed one of their agents. They beat Lex soundly, but Lex knows nothing. They ask him why his bank account is empty.
Lex chides that they can't kill him. When they agree, he says, "Then there' s nothing to stop me from doing this!" And head butts the lead goon. They knock him out.
He wakes up in a cell. It is Lex's birthday. Clark bursts in, showing Lex that the guns were firing blanks, that the cell and government is just a set, and that indeed, his bank account is empty.
Lex thanks Clark and tells him to go home.
Lex then finds his father, with a gun, and demands to know why he set Lex up for this madness.
- A chimera is an organism, organ, or part consisting of two or more tissues of different genetic composition, produced as a result of organ transplant, grafting, or genetic engineering; A substance, such as an antibody, created from the proteins or genes or two different species; An individual who has received a transplant of genetically and immunologically different tissue; A fanciful mental illusion or fabrication.
- In this story, a plan is fabricated to gain money from Lex.
- The story is continued in Chimera, Part 2.
- The shooting of Lionel is discussed as a recent happening event, suggesting the story to take place after Suspect.
- Lex: (Narration about Clark) Only in Smallville could you find a young man so generous...
- That when his father was falsely accused...
- Of the attempted murder of a dispised tycoon...
- He stil forgave the man's son for manipulating the situation to his own advantage.
- I'm lucky to call him a friend.
- Gibson: My name's Gibson. Have a seat Alexander.
- Lex: Your men shot my friend, Gibson.
- Gibson: You've got bigger problems than worrying about... Here it is... Mr. Clark Kent.
- Lex: I know my rights. I don't say a word until you get me my attorney. (Gibson responds by slapping him across his face) What happened to good cop/badcop? The F.B.I's gotten lazy.
- Gibson: F.B.I.? Heh, they're just providing assistance... No, we're military intelligent.
- Lex: Isn't that an oxymoron?
- Gibson: Very funny Alexander. But know this... We play by old school rules... And if you don't tell me why you murdered one of our agents, you'll find out just how medieval we can be!