|Chimera, Part 2|
|Series||Smallville Comic #4|
|Writer||Mark Verheiden & Clint Carpenter|
| Previous Story: Vows
Next Story: Phelan
Lex is holding up a gun to Lionel, believing that he emptied his Swiss bank account. He is shortly escorted out after discovering that his account is only now being emptied. After escaping from from the FBI (who posed as Lionel's security), Lex discovers who is behind the murder of Malcolm. He also discovers who set up the entire plan.
(Credit for the recap information goes to Neal Bailey from Superman Homepage.)
Lex has a gun to his father's head, but Lionel insists that he has nothing to do with the death of his friend. Lex pulls his cell phone and checks his balance, only to have his father chastise his use of a bank account number over a cell phone. As he does, Lex's balance is taken away and Lionel's security arrives to escort Lex out.
Outside, Lex figures out that the security guards are actually a part of the goons that killed his friends. Outside, a van awaits him again. Lex fights his way out, and as the van chases him, it flips and wrecks.
Lex calls a taxi, which takes him away from the chaos.
Lex recognizes the taxi driver as one of the security guards from the original kidnapping, and demands to know what is going on.
The driver insists he was just a hired actor.
Goons arrive and shoot up the taxi... they speed off just in time.
Lex figures it out... he was double crossed by his own best friend. At the crime scene, Lex finds him, brandishing a gun and squawking the truth about his associate, a man with a British accent... Dominic.
Lex confronts Dominic in his limo, driven by the actor from before, but Dominic claims no responsibility. Lex tells Dominic that they are at war. He then kicks Dominic out of the limo at 40 miles an hour.
Back home, in Smallville, the gang throws Lex a birthday party.
- A chimera is an organism, organ, or part consisting of two or more tissues of different genetic composition, produced as a result of organ transplant, grafting, or genetic engineering; A substance, such as an antibody, created from the proteins or genes or two different species; An individual who has received a transplant of genetically and immunologically different tissue; A fanciful mental illusion or fabrication.
- In this story, a plan is fabricated to gain money from Lex.
- This story features the last appearance of Dominic Sanatori
- This story takes place directly after the first part and thus directly after Suspect.
- Dominic's assumption that Lex would kill Lionel, is later proven in Descent.
- Malcolm: You seem to be short a gun. I'd loan you mine, but...
- Lex: I saved you from enough prep school bullies -- You should know I don't need a gun.
- Malcolm: And what, I'm suppose to be grateful?
- Lex: Apparently not. Why'd you do it?
- Malcolm: Money, Lex. Why else did I ever involve myself with you?
- Lex: Friendship maybe?
- Malcolm: Oh, give it up, Lex. People like you, like everyone at that tycoon factory, don't make friends -- You make contacts. I spent ten years witing for you to pay off.
- Dominic: Driver, you haven't seen anyone lurking--
- Lex: Nervous Dominic? I've underestimated you.
- Dominic: Lex?! I mean, what... What are you doing in my limo?
- Lex: (Sees the driver looking back.) I think we're all set back here, Harrison. It must have hurt, Dominic, to be put in your place by my father. All those years of hard work, and he's giving the company to his good-for-nothing son. But if I murdered dear old dad, you'd take over Luthorcorp -- After all, he'd be dead and I'd be in prison. That's what this was about, wasn't it? Pushing me over the edge, driving me to kill him.
- Dominic: You're delusional.
- Lex: My early escape probably screwed things up, and trying to shoot me after your plot failed was a bit clumsy, but overall it was a good plan. Even now, logic would point to my father as the one with the means and the will to create such a waking nightmare. Except... He's not British. Did you really think I'd kill my own father?
- Dominic: Don't kid yourself, Lex. You've longed to pull that trigger for years... Not that I have any idea what you're talking about.
- Lex: One day, I'll have proof, but as of this instant, we're at war. Smile, Dominic. Today's the first day of the end of your life. Get out. Now.
- Dominic: What do you mean? We must... We must be going 40 miles per hour.
- (Lex has an evil smile on his face and pushes Dominic out.)
- Clark: So what happened to Malcolm?
- Lex: I had him arrested. My attorneys are recovering the money he stole.
- Clark: That's it? I mean, I figured you'd have something more machiavellian in mind -- Like throwing him out of a moving car...
- Lex: Just hope that you don't ever have to suffer a betrayal like that.