Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Faced with the prospect of losing Clark forever, Chloe Sullivan wrote down her feelings to read to him to "eliminate embarrassing eye contact."
She visited Clark at his home, asking Jonathan if she could just sit with him while he slept. However, after reading the letter to a sleeping Clark, he murmured Lana Lang's name in his sleep. In tears, Chloe did not say goodbye and left before Clark woke up.
Later, Chloe threw it into the wastebasket, where it was picked up and read by Lana.
Somehow, the letter remained in Chloe's possession, as Jimmy found and confronted Chloe about it. She said she wrote it when she was 15. Later she finally admits to Clark that she wrote it six years earlier for him and finds out she really loves him.
The LetterThe text of the letter is below:
- I want to let you in on a secret, Clark. I'm not who you think I am. In fact, my disguise is so thin, I'm surprised you haven't seen right through me. I'm the girl of your dreams masquerading as your best friend. Sometimes I want to rip off this façade like I did at the Spring Formal, but I can't because you'll get scared and you'll run away again. So I decided that it's better to live with the lie than expose my true feelings. My dad told me there are two types of girls: the ones you grow out of, and the ones you grow into. I really hope I'm the latter. I may not be the one you love today, but I'll let you go for now, hoping one day you'll fly back to me. Because I think you're worth the wait.
- The letter contains several possible allusions to Clark's future alter-ego, Superman:
- "I'm not who you think I am..." - a reference to Clark's future double-life.
- "my disguise is so thin..." - a reference to Clark Kent's mild-mannered reporter disguise, in which he simply wears glasses.
- "I'm surprised you haven't seen right through me" - a reference to Clark's X-ray vision.
- "one day you'll fly back to me" - a reference to Superman's ability to fly.
- "rip off this façade" - Superman rips off his shirt when he is going to change from Clark to Superman.
- When Clark asks Chloe to the Spring Formal and apologizes for taking so long, Chloe replies that it is "worth the wait".
|Chloe Sullivan in Smallville|