Crucifixion is a theme in Smallville.
Crucifixion is literally an ancient method of painful execution in which the condemned person is tied or nailed to a large wooden cross (of various shapes) and left to hang until dead. Smallville makes references to the crucifixion of Jesus Christ throughout the show, mainly as references to Clark and his destiny as the world's savior.
- Pilot - Clark Kent was selected to be the Scarecrow, and put up on a wooden cross in a corn field.
- Wither - Gloria pinned Clark in a crucified shape with her vines, the Vine through his chest similar to the Spear of Longinus
- Descent - Lionel Luthor fell to his death with his arms stretched out in the shape of a cross.
- Salvation - Clark allowed Zod to stab him with a blue kryptonite knife, and falls off a building with his arms stretched out in the shape of a cross.
- Lazarus - Lois was put up on a wooden cross as a faux-Scarecrow by LX-13
- The Bible tells that Jesus' Crucifixion was necessary to bring salvation to mankind. Several episode names play on the theme of saving and salvation, especially in Season Nine: