Heat vision is the ability to project heat and/or fire from ones' eyes.
Kryptonian Heat visionEdit
Unlike a great majority of Kryptonian powers and abilities that manifest because of unknown inner development, heat vision is known to be specifically triggered as the they mature through the sex drive impulsion. However, through dedicated practice, they can control this ability. The Kryptonian machine computer program called Brainiac is capable of using heat vision. Davis Bloome is incapable of using this ability.
In the Kawatche lengend, the First Nation people dubbed that Naman, a being that will fall from the stars, will be able to start fires with his eyes.
Heat vision also doesn't seem to be strong enough to effect other kryptonians's body
Martians can shoot threads of energy from their eyes. The martians' heat vision is green.
When Clark Kent was watching a sex education video in a biology class taught by Desirée Atkins, he spontaneously expressed his heat vision and lit the screen on fire. Later, while talking to Lana Lang, Clark set the Talon espresso machine on fire with a blast of heat from his eyes, and he uncontrollably singed the walls of the coffee shop. He later learned to control his heat vision with the help of his adoptive father Jonathan Kent. (Heat) When Lionel Luthor swapped bodies with Clark using the Crystal of Water, he acquired Clark's powers. Shortly after, his heat vision was uncontrollably triggered when he sniffed Martha Kent's hair. (Transference) Since Lionel was not an adolescent Kryptonian, this suggests that heat vision is generally triggered by sexual impulses and that anyone with the power, whether an adolescent Kryptonian or an older human with Kryptonian powers, needs to learn how to control the power the first time they use them. Clark can also project force with his heat vision, and has demonstrated the ability offensively. (Oracle)Eric Summers. Neither of them had to learn how to control their heat vision, or had it triggered by sexual impulses. This is just one example of people possessing Kryptonian abilities that they do not have to learn how to control, unlike Clark. For example, Clark had to learn how to control his super hearing and heat vision, unlike many other possessors.
The exact temperature of heat vision is unknown, but Clark once heated a couple of vials of fear toxin antidote to 1000 degrees Kelvin in a few seconds, a process that would have taken five hours with LuthorCorp equipment. (Scare) A few years later, Clark used his heat vision at full power to save a young boy and his father from drowning by emitting such a great amount of heat from his eyes to turn the rushing water into steam. (Bizarro) Later on, Clark used his heat vision to its maximum limit to bring down Major Zod's solar tower. (Persuasion)
Characters who have displayed heat visionEdit
- Clark Kent – This ability first manifested in Heat. Clark can emit extreme heat and fire beams from his eyes. Clark's heat vison is often shown as an orange color.
- Kara – Kara can emit extreme heat and fire beams from her eyes.kara's heat vison is shown to be a dark red color
- Conner Kent - Conner, because he has strands of Kryptonian DNA, specifically Clark's, can emit extreme heat and fire beams from his eyes.his heat vison is shown to be a yellowish color
- Disciples of Zod - They both were able to project extreme heat and fire beams from their eyes.
- Alia - Alia can project extreme heat and fire beams from her eyes.
- Major Zod – Major Zod can project extreme heat and fire beams from his eyes.
- Basqat - Basqat can project extreme heat and fire beams from his eyes.
- Bizarro – Bizarro, after replicating some of Clark Kent's DNA strands, gains Heat vision, but emits it differently. He can release extreme heat and energy bolts from his eyes.
- John Jones – John, as a Martian, can release intense energy from his eyes.
- Lana Lang - After drinking Clark's blood after being bitten by a "vampire", Lana temporarily got the ability to use heat vision.
- Jeremiah Holdsclaw - Jeremiah, while holding the Starblade, could project extreme heat and fire beams from his eyes much like Kryptonians can.
- Brainiac - Brainiac, as a Kryptonian machine, can emit extreme heat and fire beams from his eyes.
In the ComicsEdit
Superman possess heat vision. He uses this ability primarily to save people and stop crime, as such, he can kill humans, most aliens, and other beings with his heat vision. Right now, the exact magnitude of this power remains unknown. Superman can, just by looking at the individuals, kill someone in seconds, demonstrating the speed of this power, although some members of the Flash family have proven capable of out running it.
Martian Manhunter can shoot extremely hot beams of energy from his eyes, though the exact magnitude of this ability is unclear, but he has proven to be able to shoot his beams at Superman's heat vision and most of the time, it ends in a draw.
- Originally in the Pilot Clark was to have developed his heat vision in a sex ed class (similar to Heat). It was dismissed for the time as the creative team thought it was too soon, and wanted to develop better visuals for it.
- Lana has acquired Clark's heat vision twice: Once after biting Clark as a krypto-vampire in Thirst, and another time after having Clark's powers transferred to her through kryptonite and electricity.
- Clark, Kara, Conner and Lionel all had problems controlling their heat vision powers for the first time. (Heat, Transference, Fierce, Scion) However, Lana had no problems immediately using her heat power both times she acquired the power.
- Early in Smallville episodes, Kryptonian heat vision was represented by shimmering air as the heat was expelled from the eyes. (Heat) In later seasons, heat vision is more commonly displayed as red or orange 'fire beams'. (Bizarro, Fierce)
- Martians have a similar ability where they send heat out of their hand. (Static)
- ↑ Smallville: The Official Companion Season 2
|Clark Kent's powers and abilities in Smallville|