|Broadcast Date||March 26, 2009|
| Previous Episode: Turbulence
Next Episode: Eternal
At Chloe's birthday party, a mysterious magician named Zatanna grants Chloe's wish to be more like Lois - transforming Chloe into Lois' double. Zatanna searches for her father's book of spells so she can conjure up his spirit, but not before also granting Clark his deepest wish.
Chloe is standing alone on the balcony at her birthday party at the Ace of Clubs. Someone puts a present from Clark in front of her, she turns around and sees Oliver who explains Clark's in Keystone helping Bart Allen with a crisis. Chloe finds that Clark has given her a copy of Tales of the Weird & Unexplained. Oliver notices that she's feeling melancholy and takes her back inside. Chloe sees Lois and admits she is feeling sorry for herself because Lois has the life of a reporter that she had always wanted, and because her own marriage is falling apart. Lois comes over and gives her a birthday cupcake, then apologizes for having to leave to cover a story in Mexico City.
As Lois goes, a magician, Zatanna, notices Chloe and Oliver talking. Oliver prepares to leave on an emergency as Zatanna approaches him, but he redirects her to Chloe. Zatanna invites Chloe to make a wish. Chloe gazes at Lois and then blows out the candle on her cake, as Zatanna's eyes glow.
Later, Chloe goes to bed alone. The next morning, she wakes up and looks in the mirror, and discovers she suddenly looks exactly like Lois. While struggling to get dressed, Chloe calls Lois, who says that everything is fine and she hasn't noticed anything weird.
At the Planet, Chloe quietly impersonates Lois. She goes to Lois' desk and does a web search on Zatanna, and finds the location where she's performing. Clark arrives and asks how she got back from Mexico so quickly. He comments that Lois called him several times from the airport the other night, and also notices that 'Lois' is not dressed in her usual fashion. Chloe resents that he called Lois, but not her. Not knowing he's really talking to Chloe, he admits he understands Jimmy's side of the story on their breakup. Clark sees a report on a police standoff and, puzzled by her strange behavior, drags Chloe with him.
In his new office at the LuthorCorp building, Oliver reads an article on Lex Luthor but is interrupted when Zatanna comes in. She asks for his help and notes her father was John Zatara, the world's greatest magician. Zatanna explains that she wants a book that belonged to her family and that Lex acquired the book at an auction. Oliver explains that Lex's lawyers won't let him near Lex's personal collection and he can't get the book. Zatanna offers to give him one wish and she promises to offer him anything he wants if he gets her the book by midnight. When he looks away for a second, Zatanna disappears.
Clark begins to notice that 'Lois' is acting oddly. When she trips over her high heels, Clark catches her and Chloe notices that Clark is looking at her strangely. They arrive at the address where a man is yelling in Latin on a loudspeaker. A policeman comes over and pays 'Lois' the money he owes her from Friday's poker game, then explains that the man, Yuri, is an antique dealer who has been shouting in Latin. Chloe translates it to mean that Zatanna cursed the man with magic, and Clark is surprised that she understands Latin. Chloe tells him to take her at superspeed to Zatanna's performance. When Clark tries to pass it off, Chloe rattles off enough information to convince him that she's really Chloe and knows his secret.
They arrive at the theater and Chloe admits that she understands why Clark defended Jimmy. They talk about his present to her and he admits that his life has become so weird that weird has become normal. He mentions that he wishes there were days when he could just be a normal reporter. They go to Zatanna's dressing room where she is assuring a photo of her father that it won't be long. They ask her to reverse the curse but Zatanna explains that it's what Chloe wants, and she won't change back until she no longer wishes to be Lois. Chloe insists she doesn't want it but nothing happens. Clark asks about the antique dealer and Zatanna explains that he wanted a deeper understanding of dead languages, and she granted the wish in return for his help in finding her father's book. When Clark confronts her directly, she wonders what he might wish for. Her eyes glow and she disappears, and Chloe wonders if Clark is okay. He insists that he's fine, but Chloe isn't so sure.
As they go outside, Chloe realizes that Clark once again thinks she's Lois. They spot a mugger and Clark simply stands there and watches. Chloe asks if he's going to do anything and is not totally surprised to see him get out his phone and call 9-1-1.
Back at the Planet, while Clark thinks that 'Lois' is trying to play a prank on him, Chloe realizes that Zatanna has changed him and tries to undo the effect. She hauls him to the roof, then locks the door behind them. She tells him to open the door and when he grabs the handle, it comes off in his hand. He thinks the door needs better maintenance, so she tries to get him to use his super-hearing. Clark concentrates and hears everything, but figures it's the acoustics. She tries to hit him over the head with a pipe but misses, and Clark still refuses to believe her, alarmed at her actions.
That night, two security guards are patrolling a LuthorCorp warehouse when they hear a noise. Investigating, they find an arrow that emits knockout gas. Green Arrow drops down and finds the crate containing Zatanna's book.Outside, Oliver finds Zatanna waiting for him. She realizes that he is Oliver Queen and asks for the book in return for his wish. Oliver notes there's a lot of dark material in the book, and she admits she can grant anyone their wish except for her own. While Oliver watches a nearby trashcan fire, Zatanna says the book is the only way she can bring her father back. Oliver considers it, then tosses the book towards the fire. However, the book is drawn to Zatanna and flies into her hands. Zatanna quickly opens the book and speaks a magic incantation, summoning magical chains to bind Oliver. She leaves, promising her father that she's coming.
Clark and Chloe go to the sanitarium where Yuri is being kept. Yuri is once again capable of speaking English and realizes that they know what happened. Yuri warns them that the book is too dangerous, and that Zatanna will have to exchange someone else's life to bring her father back from the dead.
On the roof of the Daily Planet, Zatanna recites a ritual from the book, demanding that her father come back to life. Lightning flashes and a storm appears overhead. Clark and Chloe see the storm and rush to the Daily Planet. Chloe tells Clark that he doesn't really want to be a normal guy, and he needs to use the power he can feel to jump to the rooftop. Clark considers her words as he looks up to the rooftop, and then turns and sees that Chloe has reverted to her normal self. She explains that she no longer envies Lois' life because of what she has with Clark. Clark braces and then leaps to the rooftop. He tells Zatanna to stop the spell and asks what cost she is willing to pay and she says she is willing to sacrifice her own life to bring her father back. She walks toward the magical vortex but Clark stops her. She wonders what he can know about losing a father. Clark says losing his father was the worst day of his life, but he had to let him go. Then Chloe rushes out of the door onto the roof, but she runs straight into the vortex and is caught up. Clark asks Zatanna what her father would want her to do. Zatanna watches as her father appears in the vortex, then casts the spell to seal the portal. Chloe is knocked clear and Zatanna is left to think about what might have been.
Chloe awakens in her apartment the next morning, pleased that she looks like herself. Clark arrives with coffee and bagels. He thanks her for reminding him of who he is, and Chloe admits that she accepted her role to help Clark. Clark admits it was tempting to have a normal life, but realized that he really enjoys a life with responsibilities. He wonders why Chloe took so long to tell him what was going on, and she explains that she has had a rough time lately and is a bit jealous of Lois and Clark's partnership. She thinks Clark looks at Lois with "puppy dog eyes" and that Lois is a part of his life. Chloe wonders if he's afraid of being burned a second time, but Clark deflects it and asks if she's talking about her and Jimmy. She suggests that they both have to move on with their lives.
Oliver returns to his office and finds Zatanna waiting for him. She apologizes and says she wants to make sure something like that can't happen again. Oliver admits he respects her for making the tough choice, and she warns him that there are people with much greater magic power. Zatanna gives him a calling card and tells him to call her if he ever runs into them. She plans to do some catching up so she can make her father proud.
At the Planet, Lois, having returned from Mexico, watches Clark who is working on a story. She asks how long it took him to figure out who Chloe really was, and then asks to see his framed copies of her rules, and suggests they should hang it up. Clark says it's personal. Lois heads out for a date with a guy she met on the plane. Clark asks if she wants him to give her a call if anything comes up, and she points out he stood her up once before. Lois says they should just stick to a working relationship from now on.
At Isis, Oliver arrives and warns Chloe that she'll be leaving her old life as a reporter behind forever. Chloe says after a day in Lois' shoes, she's sure she now has the life she wants. Chloe goes into the computer center and begins coordinating Oliver's team of heroes as 'Watchtower'.
- Yuri - Andrew McIlroy
- Female Reporter - Anna Cummer
- Daily Planet Worker - Aaron Dudley
- Police Officer - Bruce Dawson
- Unknown - Kevin O'Grady
- "It's True" - Brian Wayy
- "Just Believe" - Brian Wayy
- A hex generally means a bad spell or cursing to another person.
- In this episode, Zatanna casts a spell on both Clark and Chloe.
- This is the first episode since Zod where the title is only three letters. This is also the last episode to be only three letters.
- Antagonist: Zatanna Zatarra.
- Tess Mercer and Davis Bloome do not appear in this episode. Jimmy Olsen was originally in this episode, but the scene was cut.
- Clark and Bart Allen are mentioned being in Keystone City, which is usually the Flash's home town in the comics.
- Lois' Rules of Reporting has the word 'beginning' misspelled as "begginning". Lois's bad spelling has frequently been an in-joke in many incarnations of Superman.
- Cyborg, Black Canary, Impulse, and Aquaman are all seen via photographs in the Isis computers. This is the first time the whole Justice League is seen together.
- Chloe compares her birthday party to the "napalm scene in Apocalypse Now," an extremely violent movie about the Vietnam War.
- This is the first time Oliver's new LuthorCorp office is seen on screen after he took control of the business in Requiem.
- This is the first time a body switch has been put into the plot since Clark switched bodies with Lionel in Transference
- While trapped on the roof with Lois/Chloe, Clark says, "...I need to find a way to get off of this roof, unless my superpowers include the ability to fly." As that is not an ability that Clark has yet learned, Lois/Chloe shakes her head negatively.
- This episode has four deleted scenes on the Season 8 DVDs. In the first scene, Chloe-as-Lois takes a polaroid picture of herself to confirm she has turned into Lois. In the second, Chloe-as-Lois goes back to the Ace of Clubs to find Zatanna, but runs into Jimmy instead; Jimmy tells 'Lois' that he was not invited to Chloe's party and, as 'Lois', Chloe tells him that she feels very sorry for how things ended between them. In the third deleted scene, Lois/Chloe and Clark encounter a mugger and, because Clark has been hexed to believe he is a normal guy, he simply calls 911, while Chloe chases the mugger down, to Clark's amazement. In the fourth deleted scene, Lois returns from Mexico and back-to-normal Chloe tells her what happened; Lois tells Chloe that she only went into journalism because she admired Chloe's passion for it and has always looked up to her. She says she believes Chloe should get back on track and has scheduled an interview and application for her to return to the Daily Planet, and Chloe looks hopeful and touched at her gesture.
- Writer Bryan Q. Miller revealed the mention of Bart and Clark on a League mission in Keystone City (home of Jay Garrick, the original Flash) was originally expanded, revealing they were chasing after a rampaging gorilla, a nod to the Flash foe, Gorilla Grodd. Oliver also delivered a line "Bart always gets the interesting rogues." a reference to group of Flash's enemies that call themselves "The Rogues." The scene was cut for time, and they didn't want another league member stealing Zatanna's thunder in her debut episode.
In Other MediaEdit
- Zatanna is the twelfth DC Comics character introduced in Season 8. The others are Doomsday, Legion of Super-Heroes, Persuader, Dan Turpin, Emil Hamilton, Bette Sans Souci, Faora, Maxima, and Winslow Schott.
- Zatanna is the 45th DC Comics character adapted into the series.
- This features Smallville's version of the DC Comics character Zatanna. She is heard using her signature backwards-talking to cast her spells, most notably when she says, "close the door" as "rood eht esolc".
- In the comics, Zatanna's father, Zatara, was a superhero magician who made his debut in Action Comics # 1 (1938), the same issue that introduced Superman. Zatanna made her debut in Hawkman (Vol. 1) # 4 (1964) where she went on an epic quest to find her father, who had gone missing. While she would ultimately find her father, Zatara tragically died in Swamp Thing (Vol. 2) # 50 (1986).
- At one point in the episode, Clark's hair shows a curl just like the iconic Superman look in the comics.
- Tom Welling was originally supposed to direct this episode but got sick during prep and for part of the filming and so changed his directing schedule to the episode Injustice.
- The last time Chloe's birthday was celebrated on-screen also involved magic in Spell, and was also a party planned by Lois.
- Clark's birthday gift for Chloe is a vintage copy of Tales of the Weird & Unexplained. This was one of Chloe's favorite books growing up; she lost it during her move to Smallville in the eighth grade. The first time Chloe and Clark met, she told Clark about losing the book, and he used his super speed to check the book out of the Smallville library for her, which was shown in Abyss.
- The last time members of the Justice League were together was in Odyssey and here they appear on the Isis Foundation screens.
- After Zatanna first casts her spell on Clark, Chloe comments that magic affects Clark just like the rest of us, which has been shown in Spell.
- To prove that she is herself in Lois' body, Chloe reminds Clark of the time he left her at the Spring formal, which occured in Tempest and when she kissed him before General Zod took over the world, which was seen in Vessel.
- Lois gave Clark her rules of reporting on his first day on the job, which was in Plastique.
- Lois mentions being stood up by Clark, in Infamous.
- Clark mentions Chloe and Jimmy splitting up, which happened in Turbulence.
- Lois annoys Clark with her chair at the Planet, much like Clark did to her at the end of Odyssey.
- Clark mentions the day he lost his father, which occurred in Reckoning.
- This is the first episode since Toxic that Lois appears in where she isn't in any physical danger.
- After Chloe becomes "herself" again outside the Daily Planet, she talks Clark into "super-leaping" to save the day by using the catch-phrase, "Up, up and away." This was the famous line Superman uttered in his early years when taking flight.
- Wish Granting
- Teleportation at thought
- Leets yb Dnuob (Bound by Steel)
- Rood eht Esolc(Close the Door)
- Zatanna: Rough birthday, huh?
- Chloe: You ever seen the napalm scene in Apocalypse Now? More fire, less cake.
- Chloe: One day, I'm on the fast track for my dream career as the intrepid reporter. And then I blink, and all of a sudden, I'm this under-qualified shrink for meteor-infected kids, who will probably wake up to be psycho killers, while Lois and Clark are walking the beat with matching press passes together. Oh, and did I mention that I was actually able to hold on to happily ever after for about 2.3 seconds before my marriage imploded?
- Oliver: Is this the part where you belt out the soprano's aria and drive a dagger into your corset?
- Clark: Right, can this wait until after your post-lunch, pre-dinner, after-coffee snack break? Can't imagine you having anything more to say after last night.
- Chloe-as-Lois: Last night?
- Clark: Yeah, you called me five times from the airport. One from the airplane.
- Chloe-as-Lois: (indignant) You had time to answer six phone calls, and you couldn't call Chloe on her birthday?
- Clark: (to Chloe-as-Lois) You haven't insulted me once yet today. And you actually crossed at the crosswalk. Did Jeff not bring you your coffee today?
- Chloe-as-Lois: It's okay. I'm Chloe.
- (Clark gives Chloe-as-Lois a skeptical look)
- Chloe-as-Lois: Stood-her-up-at-formal Chloe. Planted-one-on-you-because-Zod-was-ending-the-world Chloe.
- (Clark looks even more skeptical)
- Chloe-as-Lois: Krypton, Jor-El, Fortress, Brainiac Chloe!
- Clark: (truth dawning) Chloe!
- Chloe-as-Lois: Bingo.
- Chloe-as-Lois: By the way, Tales of the Weird & Unexplained? Nice callback.
- Clark: I thought it might bring you back to a time when, you know, things were —
- Chloe-as-Lois: Weird and unexplained?
- (Clark nods)
- Chloe-as-Lois: You sound like miss it.
- Clark: Oh, I don't know. It's just that there's a whole half of my life where... this happens. (exasperated) Every day. Weird has become so normal, it's not even weird anymore.
- Zatanna: (to Clark) I give people what they want. Look, everybody has something they're hoping for. Something... something they wish they could change. Even you. I wonder what your little wish would be.
- Clark: Honestly, I like what I'm doing at the Planet now. But I would be lying if I said that there weren't days when I wish I could forget about saving the world and just be a normal reporter.
- (Clark and Chloe-as-Lois stumble upon a mugging in progress)
- Chloe-as-Lois: Aren't you going to do anything?
- Clark: You're absolutely right, Lois.
- (Clark pulls out his cell phone)
- Clark: 911?
- Chloe-as-Lois: Maybe you can super speed over to this antique shop and dust off any leads.
- Clark: Super speed? We didn't even bring a car.
- Chloe-as-Lois: Clark, snap out of it! You're a hero!
- Clark: Ha, ha. Yeah, I'm a regular Green Arrow. Lois, I don't make the news. I just report it.
- Chloe-as-Lois: You are the biggest news there is. You're a superhuman being from another planet!
- Clark: (in disbelief) Did you just lock us up here?
- Chloe-as-Lois: (calmly) Open the door, Clark.
- Clark: (angrily) Lois, it's locked! We need a key!
- (Chloe-as-Lois swings a large pipe at Clark, but misses)
- Clark: Lois! Have you completely lost your mind? That could've really hurt!
- Chloe-as-Lois: No, it wouldn't, Clark! You've got super-speed, and super-strength, and super-hearing, and x-ray vision!
- Clark: And I have a deadline, Lois. Now, please, if you would excuse me, I need to find a way to get off this roof. Unless my super-powers include an ability... to fly.
- (Chloe-as-Lois sighs)
- Clark: I didn't think so.
- Oliver: (after disabling LuthorCorp guards) Sorry, guys. I'll make sure you get a nice Christmas bonus.
- Oliver: (to Zatanna) What is this, you drop by to kick my ass again? It was so much fun for me the first time.
- Chloe-as-Lois: Clark, you're the only person who can get up there and put an end to this right now.
- Clark: Look, I know what you're going to say, but —
- Chloe-as-Lois: No, Clark. There are no 'buts' with you. No exception to the rule. Now super-leap up there, and stop her!
- Clark: Look, I don't know —
- Chloe-as-Lois: Okay, Clark, you don't have to know. If you won't believe in yourself, then let me believe in you. Okay? I know that deep inside, you don't wanna just be a normal guy, sitting behind a desk, reporting on disasters, while you could be out there stopping them! Now use the power you feel. The world needs you.
- Lois: So how long did it take for you to realize that I wasn't my usual charming self?
- Clark: Well, I have to admit I should've picked up on it sooner. You weren't as bossy as usual. And, Chloe let me drive.
- Clark: This is a memento from my first day on the job. And a constant reminder that there's only one Lois Lane.
- Lois: You better believe it.
- Clark: I couldn't have done it without you. Thank you for reminding me who I really am.
- Chloe: Yeah, I guess rebooting your superhero OS rekindled the Chloe-fire. Looks like hero-support isn't just a day job anymore.
- Clark: To be honest, a life without responsibility kind of felt empty. I mean, this is who I am, Chloe. Every morning, I wake up with a purpose.
- Oliver: What is this exactly? Some kind of magic spell to summon you? I just hold it up, say your name a couple times and, poof, you appear?
- Zatanna: It's my phone number.
- Chloe: You already know what you really want. We all do. We just don't listen.
- Oliver: And you're sure this is it?
- Chloe: This is where I belong.
- Computer: Aquaman online. Canary online. Cyborg online. Impulse online.
- Oliver: Arrow online.
- Chloe: Watchtower is officially online... let's get to work.
|Episodes: Season 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7 · 8 · 9 · 10|