|Writer||Todd Slavkin, Darren Swimmer|
|Broadcast Date||March 30, 2006|
| Previous Episode: Cyborg
Next Episode: Void
Lex discovers that Professor Fine is in Honduras and sets out to confront him. Clark meets an attractive seductress named Simone who uses a magical charm to make people succumb to her every wish. An enchanted Clark reveals his powers to Simone Charcot, who seizes the opportunity and demands that Clark kill Lex. Lana walks in on Clark and Simone about to have sex, then Simone forces Clark to break up with Lana.
→ see also Category:Screencaps from episode 5x16
In Honduras, men in hazardous material suits enter a hut full of bloody bodies. They begin to collect blood samples when Milton Fine enters, wearing no protective equipment. He kills the men and takes the blood sample before he sets the hut on fire with heat vision.
In Smallville, Clark and Lana are at the Talon chatting about their last date - a disastrous dance lesson. Lana suggests they try something else next time and pointedly informs him that she will have the dorm all to herself. Clark squirms and mumbles that he'll have to work on the farm. She tells him that whenever he's ready for intimacy, she'll be waiting.
As Lana exits, a woman wearing a large amulet on a necklace approaches Clark and introduces herself as Simone. She states that starting now, Clark will do anything she says. Clark agrees and they are making out in the alley when Lois shows up. She asks him what he's doing; Clark introduces Simone as his new girlfriend.
Lex has summoned Lana to the Luthor Mansion. He tells her that he thinks Professor Fine's disappearance is connected to the simultaneous disappearance of the ship he was storing. She correctly guesses that Lex intends to go to Honduras to go look for him. She wants to go but Lex says he doesn't want to put her in danger.
Clark takes Simone to the farm and gives her a piece of pie. She says she needs champagne to go with it and he super speeds away and returns with a bottle seconds later, simply saying he can run really fast. Simone is intrigued and suggests he call his girlfriend and tell her about them.
Lois tells Chloe about what she saw but Chloe is skeptical. She thinks something is up and asks Lois not to say anything until she finds out what's going on. Lana arrives in the middle of the conversation and Lois and Chloe cover. Just then, Lana receives a call from Clark saying he needs to talk to her. She leaves in a hurry.
Simone takes Clark to his loft and has him demonstrate his super strength. She asks Clark to make love to her even after he admits that he is afraid he will injure her. While they are making out in their underwear, Lana arrives. She is shocked at what she sees and Clark looks concerned before Simone commands him to break up with her. Lana leaves in tears and Clark follows her. He says he's fallen in love with someone else and Lana is heartbroken.
Simone arrives at Lex's manor, but Lex is not there. He is on a plane to Honduras and they communicate via closed-circuit television. He is aware of her mind-control abilities. She reports that Clark and Lana have broken up. He asks if he noticed anything "unusual" about Clark, but she just says that Clark is just as he seems. She says she's done what Lex asked her to and asks Lex to leave her alone. Lex is frustrated at her lack of news and says he wants her to meet Milton Fine in Honduras. She objects but Lex blackmails her by reminding her that he has evidence that can put her in prison. Lex is warned that Fine isn't who they think he is.
Chloe confronts Clark about his odd behavior as he is in his barn doing chores. She can't figure out why he would intentionally hurt Lana. Clark just says he's fallen in love and says he told Simone about his powers. Chloe is alarmed and warns him to stay away from Simone because she is sure he is being manipulated. Chloe sneaks into the house where Simone appears. She acts like she is glad that Clark and Simone are together and when Simone turns her back, Chloe takes a card from Simone's purse.
Lex arrives in Honduras and meets Fine. Fine claims he's been leaving clues for Lex to follow. Lex reveals he knows that Fine is a government operative working for a covert branch of the State Department. He asks why he was pretending to be a college professor and Fine says he was investigating an extraterrestrial presence in Smallville. He says he knows about the ship that landed during the meteor shower and he believes LuthorCorp took it. Lex thinks Fine knows the ship is in Honduras. Fine talks to the villagers, who confirm they have seen a ship. He tells him that the main witness was incinerated, and that he and LuthorCorp needs to work together to prevent catastrophe from a possible invasion.
Lois meets Chloe at the Daily Planet. Chloe tells her that she has been investigating Simone's background and learned that her father was a doctor and hypnotist, but was killed during a botched robbery. The man's photograph shows him wearing Simone's amulet. They believe Simone killed her father for the amulet, but don't understand why she is after Clark.
Lois and Chloe agree to meet at the farm. After Lois exits, Chloe takes a meteor rock out of her desk drawer before she goes. Lois arrives at the farm to see Clark packing. He reports that he and Simone are running away to California. Lois attempts to stop them but on Simone's command, Clark knocks Lois unconscious. Martha arrives, concerned to see Lois on the floor, and Simone hypnotizes Martha into making sure Lois doesn't follow. As Clark and Simone depart, Simone says the final thing she wants Clark to do is kill Lex Luthor. Clark happily agrees.
Lois wakes up to see Martha pointing a shotgun at her, saying she has to keep her there. Chloe arrives and knocks Martha out. Lois remembers that they were going to stop at the Luthor Mansion, but Chloe leaves without her. When Clark and Simone arrive at the mansion, Clark beats Lex up while Lex tries to explain that Simone has been controlling him. Lex reveals that he has video evidence that Simone killed her father, but Simone still has control of Clark. Chloe arrives while Clark is choking the life out of Lex. She sneaks the meteor rock into Clark's pocket and he crumples to the floor, incapacitated. Lex grabs a gun, but Simone commands him to shoot Chloe, then himself. Chloe struggles to get the gun away, but in the fight, the gun goes off and hits Simone directly through the amulet and into the chest. Chloe removes the kryptonite and Clark and Lex are restored to normal.
Clark meets Chloe at the Planet and Chloe thinks Clark and Lana will easily make up when he explains what happened. Clark admits that he and Lana needed to break up because he feels like he only causes her pain. Later at the barn, Lana arrives but she says she knows Clark was not in control of his actions. Clark tells her that his feelings have changed, saying that he doesn't love her. Lana does not want an apology; she decides that their relationship is over forever.
Clark talks to Martha about the break-up and she suggests that maybe deep down, he doesn't think that Lana is the one. She points out that Clark didn't just break Lana's heart, he gave her a reason to hate him. Lana goes to tell Lex about the breakup and Lex is clearly intrigued by the news. Lana admits that she was tired of Clark's secrets.
In Honduras, Fine as Brainiac duplicates himself and surrounds the ship. He announces they need more samples and the duplicates disappear into the jungle.
- Milton Fine/Brainiac - James Marsters
- Simone Charcot - Nichole Hiltz
- Scientist - Linden Banks
- Scientist - Aaron Craven
- Aide - Parker Jay
- Unknown - Alejandro Chavarria
- Unknown - Sina Najafi
- "Dirty Little Secret" - The All-American Rejects
- "Almost Honest" - Josh Kelley
- Hypnotic is defined as "pertaining to or inducing hypnosis".
- In this episode, Simone uses her father's magical gem to hypnotize Clark, Martha and Lex.
- Antagonists: Simone Charcot
- Clark uses the following abilities in this episode: super strength and super speed.
- Lionel Luthor and Jonathan Kent do not appear in this episode.
- Simone's last name, Charcot, which was found in the article regarding her father's death that Chloe found in her investigation, was based upon Jean-Martin Charcot, a 19th-century French neurologist known for using hypnosis to study hysteria.
- This episode's original airing contained a dedication to Dana Reeve, who passed away on March 6, 2006, along with the URL for the Christopher and Dana Reeve Foundation.
- Clark bends a baseball bat into an S "for Simone" and holds it up to his chest, one of the frequent allusions to the Superman suit.
- This episode has two deleted scenes on the Season 5 DVD set. In the first, Simone persuades a police officer that she wasn't speeding. In the second, Lois berates Clark for cheating on Lana, but Clark calmly explains that he has fallen in love.
- It is previously mentioned on Delete that no hypnosis, no matter how strong, can override the survival instinct. It is unknown if Simone's amulet also works that way as Lex doesn't have a chance to try shooting himself.
In Other MediaEdit
- In the same scene, Simone calls Clark 'Lightning Legs', a reference to his super speed, but also a reference to another superhero from the Legion, Garth Ranzz.
- Allison Mack and Annette O'Toole make their 100th appearances as Chloe Sullivan and Martha Kent in this episode.
- Chloe remarks that Clark isn't on Red K, since he is doing chores and he isn't on Silver K or he would be thinking the pitchfork will attack him, a reference to his paranoid behavior in Splinter.
- Brainiac was last seen in Solitude.
- This episode marks the 32nd appearance of Clark's red jacket & blue shirt outfit.
- Lois describes Clark and Simone's encounter as the "Last Tango at the Talon", a reference to the 1972 Marlon Brando movie Last Tango in Paris, originally Rated X but reclassified as Rated NC-17. Chloe then says she expected a "dangerous liaison", a reference to the French novel Les Liaisons dangereuses by Pierre Choderlos de Laclos, about a group of French aristocrats who use sex to manipulate others. The novel has been adapted to film several times for several generations.
- Lois calls a gun-toting Martha Kent "Calamity Jane", who was an early American frontiers woman.
- Chloe: You haven't talked to her, have you?
- Clark: No.
- Chloe: What are you waiting for? I mean, she knows you were hypnotized. And besides, every single one of us has gone through some sort of an identity crisis at one point or another. It's like a rite of passage in Smallville.
- Simone: Oh, and we have to make one quick pit stop at the Luthor mansion. I need you to do me a favor.
- Clark: Whatever you need.
- Simone: Clark, you're gonna kill Lex Luthor.
- Clark: He's a dead man.
- Martha: I don't like it any more than you do, Lois but it's the only way to keep you here.
- Lana: I don't want another Clark Kent apology.
- Martha: (to Clark) I know. That's why you did this. But you didn't just break her heart, Clark, you gave her reason to hate you. I just hope her anger doesn't drive her to do something we'll all regret.
- Chloe: Oh my God! I just knocked out Martha Kent.
- Lois: Hello? The woman was about to wallpaper her living room with my brain matter.
- Lois: But face it. Clark is no different than any other red-blooded male. His brain is not his commanding officer.
- Simone: Finish him off, Clark... and make him suffer.
- Clark: My feelings for you have changed.
- Lana: Clark, I want you to look me in the eye and tell me that you don't love me.
- Clark: I don't love you.
|Episodes: Season 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7 · 8 · 9 · 10|