For the Daily Planet photographer, see Jimmy Olsen.
|Family|| Unnamed parents,|
Henry James Olsen (brother, deceased)
|Occupation||Photographer (Daily Planet)|
|Played By|| Ryan Harder (Doomsday) |
Aaron Ashmore (Finale, Part 2)
|Last Seen||Finale, Part 2, 2018|
James Bartholomew "Jimmy" Olsen is the younger brother of Henry James Olsen. In the future, he becomes a photographer at the Daily Planet and works alongside Clark Kent and Lois Lane, filling in his brother's place.
Season EightEditJames (along with his father) was seen at his older brother's funeral along with Clark Kent, Chloe Sullivan, Oliver Queen, Bart Allen, Dinah Lance and a group of others. At the end of the funeral, Chloe gave him Henry's camera. She tells that he may walk in his brother's footsteps someday, to which he thanks her and then leaves with his father.
During Clark's dream of the year 2013, Lois Lane yelled at an "Olsen" (who was not seen or heard) to have his camera ready for a plane crash, telling him that he'd better be getting every pixel of the event.
In the year 2018, Jimmy abruptly stopped Lois when she was about to enter Perry White's office and warned her about it not being a good idea to speak to their editor. He then asked for Lois' opinion regarding photos that he took of Superman, to which Lois stated that while the color and lighting were fine, and that it was lacking the drama and awe worthy of Superman. She then reminded Jimmy that he had some big shoes to fill left by his brother, but that she was certain he can do it, leaving Jimmy to proudly smile back at her.
In the ComicsEdit
Jimmy Olsen is traditionally depicted as a bow tie-wearing, red-haired young man who works as a cub reporter and photographer for the Daily Planet, alongside Lois Lane and Clark Kent, whom he idolizes as career role models. In most depictions of the character, he also has a strong friendship with Superman. As Superman's friend, Jimmy has special access to the Man of Steel, thanks to Superman's gift to Jimmy of a wristwatch which or a "signal watch" with the press of a button, emits a special ultrasonic frequency signal that Superman can hear anywhere on Earth. Jimmy invented the watch himself in the Post-Crisis continuity and Superman briefly considered confiscating it while the watch was designed by Superman based on a larger signaling device Jimmy created in the New Earth continuity.
In many Silver Age comic books, Jimmy was often seen sharing adventures with Superman, who saved him from various predicaments ranging from dangerous to merely embarrassing. This was particularly pronounced in the series Superman's Pal Jimmy Olsen (published from 1954 to 1974), which saw Olsen in a variety of slapstick adventures and strange transformations. Like most DC characters, modern portrayals of Olsen have been more serious in tone. After the Flashpoint event, the DC Universe was drastically changed. Jimmy Olsen is still a photographer for the Daily Planet and calls Clark Kent his best friend (for six months) although Clark was working for another newspaper,The Daily Star.Jimmy instead works together with Lois Lane and Miko on a majority of stories.5 years after Superman and the Justice League's debut, Jimmy was also present at the demolition of the old Daily Planet building, over which he has expressed disappointment.
- Jimmy Olsen's first appearance was an anonymous cameo in Action Comics #6 (November 1938). His first named appearance came in Superman #13 (November–December 1941).
- As in the comics, Jimmy (James) is shown with red hair, a bow tie and his trademark camera.
- James' name (as "Jimmy Olsen") was briefly seen in Season Ten's Homecoming.
- The characterization for the character of photographer Bert Camp in Season Ten's Masquerade bears a remarkable similarity to the classic version of Jimmy Olsen from the comics.
- It is shown that James Bartholomew Olsen is the Smallville incarnation of "Jimmy Olsen" and not his brother that was as seen in Season Six, Season Seven and Season Eight on Smallville. This would be consistent with Jimmy Olsen's character is somewhere between five to ten years younger than fellow Daily Planet reporters Clark Kent and Lois Lane in the comics.
- James (Jimmy) has been featured or mentioned in three season finales in a row:
- In Season Ten's series finale, Olsen (James) looks exactly like his older brother and a mental patient named Eric Summers. In real life, this is because the brothers both portrayed by Aaron Ashmore while Eric is portrayed by Aaron's twin brother, Shawn Ashmore.
Other faces of Jimmy OlsenEdit
- Chloe: Hi, you must be Jimmy's younger brother. Well I think that this belongs to you. He would've wanted you to have it.
- James: Thanks.
- Chloe: Who knows, maybe someday you'll follow in his footsteps.
- Season Eight, Doomsday
- Lois: How many "Great Caesar's Ghosts"?
- Jimmy: Four, before his coffee. But... did you get my shots?
- Lois: Love the framing, love the colors. Where's the drama?
- Jimmy: Um...Um, did you see the one with the elephant?
- Lois: The Man of Steel deserves something better than a circus incident and a fender-bender. I want pecs, I want capes, I want pearly whites.
- Jimmy: Yes, Miss Lane.
- Lois: Great. Your brother left big shoes to fill, Olsen. I know you're up to the task.
- Season Ten, Finale, Part 2
- Jimmy Olsen on Wikipedia
- Jimmy Olsen on Wikia DCAU
- Jimmy Olsen on Young Justice Wikia
- Jimmy Olsen on Superfriends Wikia
- Jimmy Olsen on DC Database
- Jimmy Olsen on Superman Wikia
- Jimmy Olsen on DC Universe Online Wikia
- Jimmy Olsen on Batman Wikia
- Jimmy Olsen on comic vine
- Jimmy Olsen: Honorary Legionnaires - Hero History
- Counting Down to Countdown - Part II: Eclipso and Jimmy Olsen
- Supermanica: Jimmy Olsen Supermanica entry on the pre-Crisis Jimmy Olsen
- Jimmy Olsen's Signal-Watch
- Comic Book Resources' Oddball Comics column Detailing Superman's Pal: Jimmy Olsen #80, which references many of Jimmy's different forms
- Transgender Graphics and Fiction Archive An overview of Jimmy Olsen's adventures disguised as a woman.