Kryptonians are an endangered humanoid alien race originating from the destroyed planet Krypton. The stories also use "Kryptonian" as an adjective to refer to something created by or associated with the planet itself or the culture that existed on it.
When Kryptonians became the dominant species on their planet, they were initially a race of fierce, almost savage warriors. Eventually after many centuries, they became more peaceful as their technology became more advanced, and they became a race of science, having a Ruling Council to decide matters on a democratic level instead of an army.
Powers & AbilitiesEdit
- Solar Battery - When Kryptonians are exposed to the rays of a yellow sun, the cells of their body to store energy as a solar battery, enabling them to develop skills beyond description. Without the sun, Kryptonians would not have superhuman abilities. These abilities seem to be relatively easy to master, or at least most of them, as some do take time great effort, as the vision of heat or arctic breath, most Kryptonians that have made the ground were aware of these powers and even for those who were not aware, as Jor-El, who quickly adapted to his powers when he was forced to use them to save Louise McCallum by Lachlan Luthor, and Dax-Ur, who later learned of his abilities, saying: "It is Sunshine State had that effect on me. " The more solar energy they absorb, the more powerful they become.
- Super Strength - Kryptonians have virtually limitless physical strength, especially in direct sunlight. In terms of what they can do, they can easily overpower and kill humans and most galactic beings, and, as such, can bend and break the reinforced steel, crush wood panels, lift heavy objects, decimate large structures and whole cities, even level with their forces. Kryptonian strength increases with age. Meaning older than a Kryptonian, the stronger he / she becomes. Their superhuman muscles of the legs allow you to skip or even buildings miles in a single jump.
- Super Speed - Kryptonians have the potential to travel at the rate of the speed of light, but more commonly just above the sound barrier. That said, it can run faster than a Kryptonian man or machine, and also move so fast that seem to appear and disappear at will. When Kryptonian super-speed, which they perceive the world in slow motion. This also gives them very fast reflexes.
- Super Stamina - Kryptonian possess virtually unlimited endurance in all physical activities due to receive better nourishment from solar energy their cells process. In addition, the body of a Kryptonian stores solar energy enough to negate eat, drink, breathe, and even sleep for as long as they want. This is evident as Kryptonians survive in the vacuum of space naked as it does not require air. That said, Kryptonian can take part in battle sequences superpowerd for as long as they want, without difficulty or fatigue (unless they exhaust their reserves of solar energy or are exposed to Kryptonite).
- Super Hearing - Kryptonian can eavesdrop on important conversations and cries for help from miles away. Kryptonian also possess enough control to exclude ambient sounds in order to focus on a specific source / frequency. Kryptonian also possess a mental telepathy associated with the sound, as they can hear the screams from space (where there is no air for sound waves to travel through).
- Super Breath - Kryptonian able to create strong pulses of air and hurricanes, simply exhaling air from their mouth.
- Super Dexterity - An ability that makes the user extremely agile and precise in all forms of strenuous movement. Kryptonian can throw a football in a basketball standing back to the frame.
- Arctic Breath - Kryptonian can freeze objects and people with their breath.
- Super Agility - Kryptonian have perfect balance and / or perfect balance, which gives them a better degree of flexibility and rang of motion.
- Invulnerability - Kryptonian cells emit an aura of virtually unbreakable solar energy that results in them almost being invulnerable to bodily injuries. Because of this, Kryptonians are resistant to nearly all forms of physical damage. As such, not even the strongest of humans can hurt them, bullets bounce off them, rockets, bombs and lasers don't even leave a mark on them, the high-voltage energy emissions (beams) can not penetrate through them, and are immune to all Earthly diseases and viruses. Kryptonian can be damaged by other Kryptonian / foreigners who can match their strength (eg: Doomsday), magic and Kryptonite (Kryptonian can cause significant pain and prolonged exposure to it can kill them, unless they develop some immunity to them in which case the effects of weakening).
- Longevity - Kryptonians constant absorption of solar cell deteoration yellow delays, as such, provided under a yellow sun that do not wear (unless exposed to blue kryptonite to remove this capability). Make them functionally immortal. The older they are, the more powerful they become.
- Healing Factor - Krptonians can heal and regenerate instantly from any wound, as long as they are not exposed to gold, blue, or green kryptonite.
- Flight - Kryptoniansn can defy gravity through telekinesis and can reach speeds approaching the velocities of light. They can maneuver with precision in any direction, as well as hover. They must be mentally trained to handle this capability.
- Super-intelligence - All Kryptonians possess a genius level intellect and under a yellow sun this power is amplified hundreds of times beyond those human beings. They very smart, under a yellow sun, their brains work similar or superior to high computers, they are able to make immensely fast calculations and multitasking at alarming rates. Kryptonian while in super-speed mode they see everything at a virtual stand still because their perceptions are greatly enhanced they could crash into every building or object they came in contact with.
- Super-memory - All Kryptonians possess an eidetic memory and under a yellow sun this ability is amplified hundres of times beyond those humans beings. They can receive or proccess large amounts of information and data at once, reading words and pictures at a fast pace. They do have a photographic memory with total recall and has the ability to super-read entires encyclopedias in seconds and they can retain large amounts of information flawlessly.
- Multilingualism - After having absorbed large amounts of solar energy or having an already matured body, Kryptonian can attain this ability. Through this power they can learn, speak and understand any language they come in contact.
- Electromagnetic Spectrum Perception - Kryptonian can see most of the EM spectrum. They can see and identify radio and television, as well as all other transmissions or transmitted frequencies. With this ability, they can avoid detection by radar or satellite monitoring methods. This also allows him to see the aura generated by living.
- Heat Vision - Kryptonian able to generate beams of intensified heat from both eyes. Their heat vision is strong enough to melt steel titanium and other metals durable. Heat Vision also generates concussive force, which can repel opponents away from them and hurt their opponents. It is activated by thoughts of sex, however, can learn to focus this energy and heat project in any direction, as well as control the size of the beams and change their strength (intensity).
- X-Ray Vision - Kryptonian can mentally break down the polymers in objects and organisms too, allowing them to see through the object or a person, and as such, Krptonians can see through anything besides lead.
- Telescopic Vision - Kryptonian have the ability to see people or objects or even meters away (this power does not break the laws of physics, that is, they can not see something that happens far away as it happens). This ability operates independently of normal vision and can be activated or deactivated by an act of will.
- Microscopic Vision - Kryptonian have the ability to see extremely small residues, stains or streaks or other objects that humans can not see with their own eyes. This ability can go so far as to see very small objects and images down to the atomic level.
- Precognition - Clark was able to have the limits of the future, once exposed to a human psychic.
- Telekinesis - Kryptonian have the ability to move objects with the mind, as evidenced by the fact that they can telekinetically link with Kryptonian technology. For example, the General Zod was able to influence the movement of objects Kryptonian with his mind.
- Technopathy - The ability to connect with the technology.
Kryptonians are classified as high-tier cosmic beings, and are virtually indestructible under a yellow sun. However, superpowered, in other words earth-bound, Kryptonians are extremely vulnerable to kryptonite, highly radioactive fragments of their homeworld, and there are many different types, all having very different effects. Green kryptonite weakens Kryptonians greatly both physically and mentally, to the point where to much exposure can kill them. Blue kryptonite strips Kryptonians of their abilities. Red kryptonite removes a Kryptonian's inhibitions and judgment.
Kryptonians are rendered completely powerless under sunlight given off by a red sun, a prime example being Krypton's red sun, although this star no longer exists.
The artificial entity Jor-El has proven capable of removing and restoring inherent Kryptonian powers and abilities.
Kryptonians can also be harmed by other aliens that are of the same or higher power. Doomsday/Davis Bloome was genetically engineered by Zod and Faora to hate the House of El, making him an almost unstoppable foe to Kryptonians of that house, as his inner rage towards them drove him to want to destroy them; as such, Doomsday can easily overpower and kill Kryptonians. Phantoms inhabiting the bodies of living corporeal beings can bring harm to Kryptonians, as can Zoners. Bizarro, after replicating Clark's DNA, gained Kryptonian powers; with them, he could match Clark. The alien Aldar was able to easily overpower Clark and could have killed him. Brainiac can also hurt Kryptonians, but he isn't as strong. John Jones was able to catch a punch from Clark and, with his amazing arsenal of powers, could kill a Kryptonian.
Kryptonians are also vulnerable to alien weapons. The Persuader's Atomic Axe can bypass a Kryptonian's invulnerability, causing a severe wound which also hinders their ability to heal instantly, although Clark healed two minutes afterwards. The crystals in the Fortress of Solitude can bypass and pierce through their invulnerability, and can possibly kill them, as seen when Zor-El tried to kill Kara with them. A Kryptonian dagger can also hurt and possibly kill a Kryptonian, but they can be broken easily.
Kryptonians can be harmed by the effects of magic.  Because Kryptonians can be influenced by magic and other such abilities, they are vulnerable to Apokoliptian symbols, as shown with Kara was trapped inside a protective barrier.
Human technology embedded with or powered by kryptonite can affect Kryptonians to a degree.
Kryptonians are vulnerable to some mental and cognitive control. Dr. Hudson was able to invade Clark's mind. Brainiac turned an ordinary rock into silver kryptonite, which was able to cause fear and paranoia in Clark. Clark proved vulnerable to test-tube implants (mostly likely laced with green kryptonite) which sent his brain into a virtual realm where he had no powers. But, with the help of Lois, he managed to fly and escaped the simulation.
The Kryptonian language is an alien language filled with hieroglyphics and shapes that can be read by its people. The Kryptonian language is referred to as "Kryptonian." Written Kryptonian is made up of two separate writing systems: An alphabet and a logographic writing system.
The Kryptonian alphabet is a transliteration of the Roman alphabet. Like the Roman alphabet, it has 26 letters; it also has 10 numbers, corresponding to the ten Arabic numerals. Each Kryptonian letter corresponds to a Roman letter, and every Kryptonian number corresponds to an Arabic numeral.
Kryptonian logograms often combine letters in the Kryptonian alphabet into a single character. For example, Clark burned the Kryptonian logogram for "hope" into the side of the Kents' barn. The logogram is made up the four Kryptonian letters corresponding to the English letters H-O-P-E, re-arranged into a single glyph.
The Kryptonian spoken language is rarely spoken on-camera. Even when two Kryptonians speak, they are shown speaking English. For example, in Memoria, when Clark is shown as a baby remembering his birth parents, they are speaking English, and during a flashback in Blue, Lara-El, Kara, and Zor-El are also shown speaking English. (It is unclear if they are actually speaking English, or if they are speaking Kryptonian but it is rendered as English as a convenience to viewers.) An alternate explanation is that English and Kryptonian are somehow related languages.
Clark learned Kryptonian by having the information downloaded into him, and Kara mentions that she "studied" the English language on Krypton, becoming a fluent speaker with command even over idiomatic expressions. It is possible that Kryptonian technology can download a language into someone's brain, turning all interested Kryptonians into native speakers of the English language.
Virtually all Kryptonians perished when Krypton was destroyed due to the war with Zod. However, there are a few survivors who escaped the planet's destruction, by either being in a spaceship, in the Phantom Zone, or on Earth.
In a spaceshipEdit
- Kal-El: Survived because his parents sent him to Earth in a spacecraft. After learning of his true origins, Clark Kent assumed that he was the last son of Krypton.
- Nam-Ek and Aethyr, the Disciples of Zod: Survived due to being inside the Black Ship at the time of Krypton's destruction. Nam-Ek was killed by Raya many years later while in the Phantom Zone.
- Kara: Survived by being sent to Earth by her father Zor-El in a red spaceship.
- Jor-El as an artificial entity: The brainwaves of Kal-El's father traveled to Earth stored in his son's spaceship.
- Doomsday as genetic matter: Doomsday was created by Zod and Faora, and attached to Kal-El's spaceship as genetic matter which grew on the three-year journey to Earth and formed a camouflage persona named Davis Bloome.
- Brainiac: Survived when he was put into the Black Ship; now re-programmed as Brainiac 5.
In the Phantom ZoneEdit
- Zod: Survived by being sent to the Phantom Zone, but no longer had a corporeal body. Zod possessed Lex Luthor on Earth in 2006, but was stopped by Clark using the Crystal of El.
- Raya: Survived by living in the Phantom Zone, but was killed years afterward by Baern after Clark released her.
- Faora: Was sent to the Phantom Zone along with her husband Zod. She escaped and possessed Lois Lane, but was stopped by Kara using the red crystal.
- Dax-Ur: Survived Krypton's destruction due to living on Earth as a human for 100 years until he was presumably killed by Brainiac.
- Lara-El: While Kal-El's mother did not survive Krypton's explosion, Zor-El had taken her DNA and put it in a blue crystal, which he sent with Kara to Earth.
- Zor-El: Zor-El's DNA was also inside the blue crystal. His consciousness and physical form was replicated and took over the Fortress of Solitude, also using blue kryptonite to render his nephew Kal-El powerless.
- Major Zod
- Jor-El (clone)
- Faora (clone)
- Kandorian army
- Conner Kent (Kryptonian hybrid)
In their distant past, Kryptonians were primitive beings using swords and daggers fighting amongst each other as brutal but honorable warriors. Kara alluded modern elevators were ancient technology on Krypton. Major Zod, after he was resurrected on Earth by the Orb, was seen bearing a sword inscribed with Kryptonian glyphs.
Many centuries later, Kryptonians became more advanced beings and started to use technologies that were far more complex than that of most other worlds, including Earth. Each Kryptonian was known to have carried a shield pendant that emitted a particular beacon which was atoned in accordance to that of their family house. Kryptonians also had such technology that they could store vast amounts of data and information in objects. They could somehow strip corporeal beings of their physical bodies; in this regard, Jor-El, with the help of John Jones, stripped many criminals of their bodies and cast them into the Phantom Zone.
Kryptonians could somehow embed or store Kryptonian powers and abilities inside objects. Palak was a mythical dagger that was embedded with abilities similar to those of Kryptonians to protect it until it could be delivered to the true Naman. The Kryptonian black box was Brainiac's hard-drive and it also contained Kryptonian abilities, but only he could access them.
Kryptonian devices, artifacts, and sacred areasEdit
- Brain InterActive Construct, or Brainiac: Krypton's supercomputer that was designed by Dax-Ur and later made by Jor-El. It was later corrupted by Zod. Brainiac survived Krypton's destruction by uploading itself into the Black Ship.
- Kal-El's ship: The spaceship that brought Kal-El to Earth.
- Black Ship: A large spacecraft containing the Brainiac and Zod's disciples Nam-Ek and Aethyr.
- Kara's ship: The red spaceship that brought Kara to Earth.
- Key: A small, octagonal device that can access Kryptonian devices of the House of El, such as Kal-El's ship and the technology located in the Kawatche Caves.
- Kawatche Caves: A series of underground caves that have historical connections to Jor-El and Krypton. Also contains Kryptonian technology.
- Memory pendant: Kryptonian device used to record memories that occurred in a given time as interactive experiences.
- Starblade: Kryptonian dagger that gave its possessor Kryptonian abilities and revealed Naman's true enemy Sageeth.
- Kryptonian dagger: A handheld weapon used by Kryptonians.
- Phantom Zone: A plane of existence created by Jor-El as a prison for extraterrestrial criminals from the 28 known galaxies.
- Phantom Zone bracelet: Metallic bracelet that can form into a vortex to the Phantom Zone and suck their victims inside.
- Stones of Power: Kryptonian stones that are each encoded with the teachings of the 28 known galaxies. They must be united to form the Crystal of Knowledge.
- Crystal of Knowledge: Diamond-shaped crystal that is formed when the Stones of Power are united. Holds all the knowledge of the universe and can create the Fortress of Solitude.
- Fortress of Solitude: Vast Kryptonian structure that holds the artificial intelligence of Jor-El. A storehouse for all the knowledge of the universe as well, the Fortress uses native Kryptonian technology to achieve feats of immense power.
- Blue crystal: Contains Lara-El and Zor-El's DNA, memories, and clothing. Capable of shutting Jor-El's essence out of the Fortress.
- Crystal of El: Kryptonian crystal displaying the Mark of El. This crystal has the ability to wipe out memories, fend off phantoms by emitting a burst of light, and remove phantoms that have possessed humans.
- Dax-Ur's shield: Kryptonian beacon owned by Dax-Ur.
- Orb: A device created by Jor-El and designed to control Kal-El and resurrect the Kandorian army as clones.
- Book of Rao: Created by Jor-El, this octagonal device was designed to send the Kandorians to a New Krypton; by doing so, this fulfills Rao's prophecy. This device looks similar to the other octagonal key that came from Kal-El's ship.
- Mirror box: Kryptonian device that allows Kryptonians, as well as humans, to travel to parallel universes.
Gallery of KryptoniansEdit
In the ComicsEdit
In the comics, Superman/Clark Kent has displayed some other Kryptonian powers that were not displayed on Smallville; super smell, and on one occasion he displayed super scream. Superman, in other versions, has displayed some form of telekinesis.
In the comics, the Kryptonian language and characters are quite different. For example, the symbol for "hope" is Superman's logo rather than the symbol that appeared in Rosetta. Incidentally, the reverse of Superman's logo means 'resurrection'.
- ↑ Quest
- ↑ Kandor
- ↑ Smallville: The Visual Guide
- ↑ Legion
- ↑ Blue
- ↑ Spell
- ↑ Prophecy
- ↑ Memoria, Lara, Collateral
- ↑ Prophecy
- ↑ Labyrinth
- ↑ Splinter
- ↑ Collateral
- ↑ Rabid
|Kryptonians in Smallville|
|Kryptonian artifacts in Smallville|