The Luthor Family is a family of Scottish descent that had humble beginnings, but is now known for being part of the extremely wealthy upper-class.
- Lachlan Luthor (born 1916) was the father of Lionel Luthor. He and his wife lived in Suicide Slums, and he scraped by doing petty crime. In 1961, he was hired by Sheriff Billy Tate to kill a mysterious stranger named Joe, but instead killed Louise McCallum. However, he was never convicted of the crime because Tate had to prevent anyone from finding out his involvement. Lachlan and Eliza were killed in a tenement fire. It was later revealed that their son Lionel and his friend Morgan Edge set the fire so Lionel could collect the couple's insurance money.
- Eliza Luthor (née Meehan) was Lachlan's wife and Lionel's mother. She was killed in the tenement fire that Lionel and Morgan started.
- Lionel Luthor (1944-2008) was the founder of LuthorCorp and husband of Lillian. He was a member of Veritas, and later became the emissary of Jor-El. He served as Chairman and CEO, then as Special Advisor, of LuthorCorp. He used to have connections with the criminal underworld through his childhood best friend Morgan Edge. Lionel was the father of two sons; however, one of his sons died as an infant. He was a cruel father to Lex, but claimed that he did it for his own good to make him into son that he wanted. He was sent to prison in 2004 for killing his parents. Although he subsequently tried to redeem himself and claimed that becoming Jor-El's emissary had changed him, he met a similar end to his parents; as they had been murdered by their son, so was Lionel when Lex discovered his connection to Veritas and pushed him out the window of his office at LuthorCorp.
- Lillian Luthor was Lionel's wife. She died of a heart condition in 1993. Lionel married Lillian probably sometime in the 1970s, and she gave birth to two sons, Alexander and Julian. Lillian grew to resent Lionel's ruthless and manipulative behavior, and battled poor physical and mental health in the last years of her life. She suffered extreme postpartum depression and, claiming she didn't want her two sons to fight for their father's attention and affection, smothered baby Julian to death.
- Alexander "Lex" Luthor is the eldest son of Lionel and Lillian, who inherited LuthorCorp from his father. He struggled with his dark side, which was spurred on by his father's cruelty during his childhood. He was the brother of Julian and the half-brother of Lucas. Having always blamed Lex for Julian's death, Lionel never treated Lex with care or approval; Lex spent his entire life simultaneously trying not to become his father and trying to gain his acceptance. He had a thick mop of red hair as a child, but has been bald since age 9 after being caught in the meteor shower of 1989. However, the meteor shower also gave Lex a higher chance of survival. In 2008, Lex finally and decisively turned to darkness. He abused his company's assets and resources to fund questionable and most likely illegal scientific research on cloning and alien intelligence. He also purchased Metropolis' main newspaper, the Daily Planet, in order to kill stories, fire reporters, and monitor employee's computer usage. In 2008, Lex discovered Clark Kent's secret, which led to his downfall. In an attempt to control Clark, Lex caused the destruction of the Fortress of Solitude, which injured him badly and caused him to go into hiding. He was kept alive via machines for a while relying on the success of Project Prometheus yet when this was stolen by Lana Lang, which forced him to emerge but Oliver Queen got revenge on Lex by planting one of his own bombs under the truck he was in, killing him. Before his death, Lex had created clones of himself in order to heal his damaged body. Later, Lex was resurrected as LX-Ø by having taken the clones body parts and received a new heart from Darkseid (which ironically was his alternate reality father's heart) and fixed his body making it a perfect new body. However, lost his memory shortly afterwards. In the new future, he will become President of the United States.
- "Lex Luthor" (original designated LX-13) was one of the many Lex's clone. He was created with other clones of him so they can use their body parts to heal the original Lex.
- "Alexander Luthor"/Conner Kent is a clone made from half of Clark Kent's genetics and half of Lex Luthor's genetics created in Cadmus Labs.
- Julian Luthor was Lionel and Lillian's second son, who died as an infant around 1992. Lillian became pregnant with Julian when Lex was 11 years-old. Lex once said that when Julian was born, it was the only time he felt like he was part of a real family. Lex also stated that Lionel saw Julian as his second chance. It was believed that Julian died of sudden infant death syndrome, but Lex later revealed that Julian was smothered by Lillian during a bout of severe post-partum depression; Lillian reasoned that she was sparing the baby from Lionel's parenting, believing that Lionel would pit the two boys against each other. Knowing that Lionel wouldn't get him into trouble, Lex took the blame for Julian's death, which is the main cause of the conflict in their relationship.
- Grant Gabriel believed himself to be Julian Luthor after being told that he was instead put up for adoption by Lionel when Lillian was terminally ill, but instead discovered that he is actually clone of Julian via Project Gemini.
- Adrian Cross was also an older but failed clone of Julian via Project Gemini.
- Lucas Luthor is the illegitimate son of Lionel Luthor and Rachel Dunleavy. He was forced into adoption by Lionel. Rachel tried to find her son and from her research, she believed it was Clark. This was however, proved wrong. Lex found Lucas and brought him back home. Lucas tricked his father into admitting he was no longer blind and worked with Lex to help him restore his position in LuthorCorp. Lucas was placed under Lex's care and hasn't been seen since.
- Lutessa Lena Luthor was the illegitimate daughter of Lionel Luthor and Pamela Jenkins. She was left in St. Louise's Orphanage in the care of Granny Goodness by Lionel. She stayed there until she was adopted by the Mercers, becoming Tess Mercer. She was later killed by Lex.
In late 2005, Lillian showed a comatose Lex an alternate future in which he is married to Lana, with two children:
- Alexander "Alex" Luthor, Jr. is the first-born son of Lex and Lana.
- Lillian "Lily" Luthor is their infant daughter, born on Christmas Eve.
Season Ten (Earth-2)
- Lionel Luthor was an alternate version of Lionel in another Earth. This Lionel found and raised Kal-El and made him a murderer. He also never tried to redeem himself.
- Lex Luthor was an alternate version of Lex in another Earth. He never turned to darkness like his Earth-1 counterpart, appearing as a kind and intelligent young man. He was murdered by his adopted brother Clark with their father's approval.
- Clark Luthor is Lionel's adoptive son and Lex and Tess' adopted brother.
- Lutessa "Tess" Lena Luthor was an alternate version of Tess in another Earth. The estranged daughter of Lionel, who also raised her, was in a romantic relationship with her adopted brother Clark.
- In several Luthors have become vessels for aliens. Lionel was a vessel for Jor-El, Lex was a vessel for General Zod, and Lionel of Earth-2 was a vessel for Darkseid.
- The Luthor family is known for being practitioners and victims of parricidium or parricide, the killing of one's close relatives: (1) Lionel had his parents Lachlan and Eliza killed in a tenement fire (parenticide); (2) Lillian smothered her (and Lionel's) infant son Julian with a pillow (infanticide); (3) Lex killed both adult clones of Julian- Adrian Cross [directly- firearm] and Grant Gabriel [indirectly- hired assassin] (fratricide); (4) Lex murdered his own father Lionel (patricide); (5) Lana faked her death (pseudocide) but Lex was charged for the crime of killing his wife (uxoricide); (6) Tess was directly responsible for Lex losing life support (fratricide); although Oliver Queen [not a relative] actually executed justice on Lex (homicide, hosticide); (7) Also, Clark Luthor killed his adoptive brother Lex Luthor in Earth-2 (fratricide); (8) Lex Luthor's clone (LX-3) killed many Lex Luthor clones (fratricide); and (9) Tess mortally wounded by firearm the Lionel Luthor of Earth-2; who gave his soul to Darkseid in order to resurrect Lex (intended patricide); (10) Lex later that same evening murdered Tess by stabbing her in the abdomen with a dagger (sororicide); (11) Lucas threatened to shoot Lex (threatened fratricide) and then pointed a gun at Lionel (threatened patricide) forcing him to shoot Lex (attempted forced filicide,) Lionel however turned and shot at Lucas but the gun was only loaded with blanks (attempted filicide.)
- Most Luthors (Lionel, Lillian, Lachlan, Lucas, Lutessa, Lana Lang) have the same initials, L.L. However, Julian, Eliza and Julian's clone Grant Gabriel did not; Julian had J.L., Eliza had E.L. and Grant had G.G. Lex's full first name is actually Alexander, making him A.L., but after his childhood and the death of his mother few people refer to him as Alexander and almost strictly as Lex, L.L.
- As of the present, only three Luthors are known to be alive: (1) Lucas Luthor as he was under Lex's protection and his whereabouts are currently unknown, (2) the clone of Clark Kent and Lex Luthor and (3) Lex Luthor, who had been resurrected through cloning and a deal between Lionel Luthor of Earth-2 and Darkseid.
- In the comics, Lex only has one known sibling: his sister Lena Luthor. In pre-Crisis comics, Lena was a metahuman whom Lex hid his connection from in order to protect her. In the post-Crisis comics, Lena was abandoned by Lex in Smallville after their father's death. She would later go on to have a daughter named Lori and then suffer from a debilitating illness. Tess Mercer might be based on her, with her birth middle name being Lena.
- In an alternate universe in the DC comics, Lex and Lois' son Alexander "Alex" Luthor Jr. was killed by the Joker as Lex Luthor watches. Turned hero to villain and had the abilities to manipulate matter and anti-matter, to fire offensive energy bursts, to form and control dimensional portals.
- In every season of Smallville, there has always been at least one Luthor as main character as either an anti-hero, a supporting antagonist or even a main antagonist:
- Lex was an anti-hero in seasons 1 to 4, a supporting antagonist in seasons 5, 8 and 10 and the main antagonist in seasons 6 and 7.
- Lionel was a supporting antagonist in seasons 1 and 4, the main antagonist in Seasons 2 and 3 and anti-hero in seasons 5 to 7.
- Tess (who was discovered as a Luthor in season 10) was a supporting antagonist in seasons 8 and 9 and an anti-hero in Season 10.
A gallery of Luthors past and present:
|Luthors in Smallville|