Magic is an ageless, powerful and dangerous supernatural force. This ability can be wielded by different means: Latin spells, backwards phrases, gestures, rituals, potions and enchanted objects. Generally magic gives off a power signatures such as a violet glow from the user's hand or shimmering of the eyes.
Known Magic PractitionersEdit
- Margaret Isobel Thoreaux - First appearance Spell
- Brianna Withridge - Spell
- Madelyn Hibbins - Spell
- Zatanna Zatara - First appearance Hex
- John Zatara - Hex (Mentioned only)
- Doctor Fate - Absolute Justice
- Isis - Isis
- Felix Faust - Olympus
- John Constantine - Harbinger
Magic seems to be ability to mimicry the powers of metahumans like telekinesis or illusions. Magic grants the user the ability to overcame the metahumans powers such as when Isobel used sorcery to enchant a sword, granting that sword the ability to pierce Clark's otherwise impenetrable skin. Some magic-like effects have been seen to be caused by the application of Kryptonian technology rather than the supernatural, such as possession and time travel.
It's unknown if there's any limit to magic as it does not seems to be a biological factor as Isobel's followers were capable of practise witchcraft while in unrelated bodies, however, their powers could be connected with their souls, and they could use their powers as ghosts. As an art magic makes uses of speaking such as backwards phrases or Latin to work as well symbols like the pentagram or the Mark of Transference.
- Season Four: Spell, Bound, Sacred, Commencement
- Season Five: Hypnotic
- Season Eight: Hex
- Season Nine: Absolute Justice, Warrior
- Season Ten: Lazarus, Isis, Fortune
- Season Eleven: Olympus
- Smallville Miniseries: Harbinger
- Arguably, the first use of magic may be the werewolf transformation of Kyla Willowbrook in the episode Skinwalker; however, since kryptonite, and perhaps the alleged part-Kryptonian ancestry of the Kawatche tribe, appear to be partly responsible for the change, it is unclear what—if any—magic is involved.
- In the episode Lexmas, it is left unanswered as to whether the old man saved by Clark is, in fact, Santa Claus.
- Magic appears to be a skill, not a biological ability, as all three witches were able to use magic in other bodies. However, their powers could be connected with their spirits, so they could use magic in another body.