|Family||Mother (deceased), Aunt, James Gibson (stepfather), Debra Burch (stepmother, deceased)|
| Powers and|
|Played By||Ryan Kelley|
- "You changed my life. You're gonna change a lot of people's lives, Clark." – Ryan to Clark, Ryan
Ryan James was a boy gifted with the powers of telepathy and possibly other psychic abilities. Ryan was raised by his mother and his abusive stepfather, James Gibson. He could read other people's minds and emotions, although the extent of his abilities is unspecified.
Ryan James was a young boy that enjoyed reading and drowning himself in comic books, particularly Warrior Angel graphic-novels. After he came in direct contact with Green meteor rocks, he got infected, as well as felt as an outsider ever since, which explains why he detached from the world sometimes by reading. At first, with his ability to read the minds of others, he couldn't drown them out, causing major stress. He was extremely shy and quite timid.
Powers and AbilitiesEdit
- Telepathy - Ryan could read the minds of other people but only what was on the surface.
Ryan could only read what's on the surface and he could read anyone's mind except for Clark's.
- "I like being around you, Clark. It's... peaceful." – Ryan James, Stray
After his mother died, James got married again and started exploiting Ryan's abilities in order to rob pawnshop owners.
Fleeing from the Gibsons, he ran out onto the highway where Martha Kent accidentally hit him with her car. He feigned amnesia and stayed with the Kents, becoming Clark's "little brother" for a few days. He learned about Clark's secret by reading Martha's mind. After his evil stepfather was arrested and his stepmother killed, Ryan moved to Edge City with his aunt.
When he began to have unexplained migraines, his aunt took him to the Summerholt Research Facility in Metropolis. Dr. Lawrence Garner discovered that Ryan had a brain tumor which was causing his telepathy. Ryan's aunt left him with the doctor and moved to Arizona. Ryan called Clark to tell him that Dr. Garner was holding him against his will and experimenting on him. Clark broke Ryan out and with Lex and Judge Ross' help, he got a restraining order to grant the Kents temporary custody.
Clark considered Ryan the little brother he never had, but shortly after, Ryan fell ill and had to be admitted to the hospital. It was discovered that he had an inoperable brain tumor and Clark did everything he could to prevent his death, including running over 400 miles to convince a famous doctor to treat the boy. However, his treatment was not completely successful and only gave him a few extra days. At Ryan's request, he spent his last few days with Clark: Ryan later died, leaving Clark devastated.
- Ryan's favorite comic book was Warrior Angel, which is also Lex and his childhood friend Duncan Allenmeyer's favorite comic.
- Ryan was one of the few metahumans whose powers were not shown to have come from kryptonite: others included Justin Gaines, Bart Allen, Arthur Curry and Chrissy Parker.
- Ryan was the first secret keeper outside of Clark's family who saw Clark's spaceship and learned that he was an alien.
- Ryan is the first of Clark's loved ones to die.
- Clark received temporary telepathy in Season Nine's Echo. It was similar to Ryan's description of his telepathy.
- Although it is unknown if Ryan was meteor-infected, his abilities were accelerated by his brain tumor. This may or may not be a referece to kryptonite cancer in the comics.