|Family||Clark Kent (owner)|
| Powers and|
| Super metacanine strength (temporarily)|
- "He's a good dog, dad." - Clark Kent, Krypto
Shelby was Clark Kent's Golden Retriever.
Powers and AbilitiesEdit
Shelby gained temporary powers after being injected with a green kryptonite-steroid serum:
- Super strength: Shelby was able to open the safe door to collect the money.
- Invulnerability: Shelby was strong enough to smash through the window to save Jonathan.
- Enhanced intelligence: This dog had an above average intelligence and was very smart, allowing him to interact with humans easier than what would be possible for normal dogs.
Before he was adopted by the Kents, he belonged to Zack and Josh Greenfield, who work at a veterinary clinic in Smallville. They called him Einstein, because they had enhanced the dog's intelligence and strength with kryptonite. Shelby ran away from them, and was hit by Lois Lane. She brought him to the Kent farm, where Clark discovered the dog's super strength. At first, Clark wanted to call him Skippy, but later thought of naming him "Krypto", because his origin was cryptic. When Jonathan agreed to keep the dog, Clark and Martha named him "Shelby", after a dog that Martha once had as a child. Despite the fact that the dog was a male, Clark, in particular, felt Shelby was a better name than what Lois had in mind: "Clarky" (on the grounds that he was totally annoying and she couldn't come within ten feet of him without feeling ill).
Shelby no longer has enhanced abilities because the serum that was used wore off after a few days. He remains a fond member of the group at the Kent farm, with even Lois being fond of Shelby in her own way, despite her being allergic to him.
Shelby is seen in the Kent kitchen after Clark let him in the house to feed him (which he almost forgot to do) before he super sped to work at the Daily Planet.
Shelby is still being fed by (supposedly absent) Clark at the farmhouse but when a suspicious Lois sees the food bowl full she takes the dog to the Talon. Chloe covers for Clark and brings Shelby back. When Clark didn't want to eat the food Lois cooked, he tried to feed it to Shelby who wouldn't eat it.
Season ElevenEditShelby now lives with Martha in her apartment in Washington, DC.
He is first seen inside Martha's house, barking while watching her going inside Bones' limousine. Later, he seemed very happy to see his former owner, Clark, when he and Lois visited Martha.
Later while Clark and Martha were investigating the man who attacked her and Director Bones, Lois took Shelby for a walk in the neighborhood.
Sometime later, Martha took Shelby for a walk, when suddenly they saw in the sky an enormous storm, created by the god Hades in the center of the Lincoln Memorial and Shelby immediately started barking
- Season Four: Shelby, Lucy, Spirit, Onyx (deleted scene), Commencement
- Season Five: Arrival, Hidden, Solitude, Lexmas, Fanatic, Lockdown, Fragile, Vessel
- Season Six: Labyrinth, Promise
- Season Seven: Fierce, Veritas
- Season Eight: Instinct
- Season Nine: Metallo, Persuasion
- Season Ten: Abandoned, Finale, Part 2 (flashback only)
- Season Eleven: Olympus
In the ComicsEdit
- As Shelby
In the comics, Shelby was the name of one of the dogs Clark Kent grew up with on the Kent farm. One of the names Clark suggests for the dog is "Skipper", in the original Superboy comics Shelby poses as the Kents' pet dog "Skip." Krypto the Superdog appears later in Clark's life.
- As Krypto
Krypto, also called Super-Dog, was the family dog in Jor-El's household, and was used for a test flight of the rocket that eventually carried baby Kal-El to Earth. However, Krypto's rocket was blown off course and drifted in space for many years until the rocket picked up the signal from Kal-El's rocket that landed on Earth. Krypto arrived when Kal-El was a teenager, and the two got along famously.
Following the events of the Crisis on Infinite Earths, Krypto was for a time removed from Superman's history, until he was re-introduced when Clark and Lois traveled to an artificial "Krypton" created by Brainiac. This technically made Krypto an artificial construct for a time, but following the events of the Infinite Crisis, Krypto's original origins and his history with Clark as Superboy were all restored.
Krypto adventured alongside young Kal-El, though he was not publicly known. This new version of Krypto had superhuman (or, supercanine) abilities, but with a normal canine intellect. This initially caused a great deal of trouble for his new master. For instance, Krypto would scratch at a door to indicate he wanted to go out and unintentionally gouge big chunks out of the door with his super-strength or inflict grievous bodily harm when combating villains (since Krypto bites the way a regular canine would, only without being careful about his super-strength). As a result, Krypto was for some time locked away in the Fortress of Solitude under the care of one of Superman's robots programmed to emit the scent of the dog's real master. Superman has gone to great lengths to train the dog, and Krypto has occasionally accompanied the Man of Steel on missions. Batman never misses an opportunity to poke fun at Krypto when Batman and Superman don't see eye-to-eye.
Following Conner Kent being officially adopted into the Kent Family, Superman decided to give ownership of Krypto to him in the hopes that they would help each other out. Initially the relationship between Conner and Krypto was a tense one, as Conner did not really want to care for Krypto, and Krypto did not obey Conner and got him repeatedly into trouble at Titans Tower (such as digging up Starfire's alien garden and invading Cyborg's private lab). However, as time passed, the two grew to care deeply for each other, resulting in Krypto becoming very protective of Conner, such as Superboy Prime attacked.
When Conner was killed by Prime, Krypto was left heartbroken and even disappeared into space for a short time. However, Krypto eventually returned to earth, and entered the ownership of Jimmy Olsen where he took on the temporary secret identity of "Pal". Krypto would later leave Jimmy, and return to the Kent farm after the death of Johnathan, where he offered Martha companionship. When Conner Kent returned from the dead, Kryto was overjoyed to be reunited with his master, and would join him on assorted adventures.
In 2011, DC Comics relaunched their entire line of comics. Krypto as again been introduced as a pet of the Jor-El on Krypton. However, he is no longer looks like a normal earth dog, with super-powers, but instead more alien.
- Fans of Smallville frequently wondered why Shelby so rarely appeared in scenes set on the Kent Farm. 
- Lois repeatedly refers to Shelby as a female rather than a male, first in Stiletto and then again in Metallo. [As is proper, noting that Shelby is a male]
- While being a dog, Shelby carries similarities to Supergirl's cat Streaky. As gaining super powers, from exposure to Kryptonite.
- Shelby was in a deleted scene in Onyx and seen in one of Clark's trials in the series finale.
- Shelby hasn't appeared since Lois and Clark moved into their new apartment. Al Septien revealed there was a scene cut where Clark placed him in the care of Conner Kent, knowing they both need companionship. This was supposed to be a nod to Clark doing the same to Krypto in the comics. In Olympus it is revealed Shelby is currently residing in Washington with his new master, as they live with Martha Kent.