Smallville: Absolute Justice is a two-hour movie which aired on The CW on February 5, 2010 at 8PM EST.
The movie consists of two episodes which were originally intended as separate episodes, each having a separate title, but then combined to a full-time feature film. The episodes are:
- Absolute Justice, Part 1 - Originally called "Society".
- Absolute Justice, Part 2 - Originally called "Legends".
- The movie was written by the popular comics writer Geoff Johns, who wrote the Smallville episode Legion; which introduced three core members of the Legion of Super-Heroes.
- The first part was directed by Glen Winter and the second part/hour was directed by Tom Welling.
- The first hour had 2.6 million viewers watching, making it a season high, until the second hour which had 2.94 million viewers.
- As originally conceived, the movie was two separate episodes named Society and Legends but according to executive producers Kelly Souders and Brian Peterson, they wanted to make the entrance of the Justice Society of America an event to do justice to the characters.
- Zod is the only one of the main cast who did not appear in the movie.
- This is the only episode of Smallville with a title formed of two words. All other episodes have single word titles.
- Though the writers and producers consider Season Nine to have 22 episodes, the CW and Warner Home Video officially list the episode count at 21 episodes with Absolute Justice recognized as a single episode.
- The series finale will be a double episode like this one was.
Carter Hall/Hawkman, Kent Nelson/Doctor Fate, Sylvester Pemberton/The Star-Spangled Kid, Courtney Whitmore/Stargirl, Wesley Dodds/Sandman, Ted Grant/Wildcat, Al Pratt/The Atom, Jay Garrick/The Flash, Alan Scott/Green Lantern, Abigail Hunkel, Joar Mahkent/Icicle, Cameron Mahkent/Icicle, Amanda Waller, and Inza Nelson make sixty DC Comics characters adapted into the series.
Pam Grier is billed as a "Special Guest Star." The character Amanda Waller only appears in 'Legends --' the' second half of Absolute Justice .
- The Justice Society of America are the third team of superheroes who have appeared on Smallville, the first being Oliver Queen's pro-active hero team, and later the Legion of Super-Heroes.
- Doctor Fate reveals to Clark that Lex Luthor will become his ultimate enemy, aligning itself with the comics where Lex Luthor is currently alive.
- When Doctor Fate sees Clark's fate, the same footage seen in Season Three's Hereafter by Jordan Cross is shown. It is the shot of Superman's cape flying into a nebula.