|Writer||James Morris & Shintaro Shimosawa|
|Broadcast Date||November 16, 2006|
| Previous Episode: Rage
Next Episode: Subterranean
Clark learns a Zoner has landed in Seattle and slaughtered the entire crew of a working ship. Upon investigation, Clark comes face to face with a horrifying Phantom Zone criminal called Aldar who sucks the bones out of people. Meanwhile, Lex encounters a metahuman who seeks revenge for being experimented on.
Lex arrives home one evening and as he and Lana are getting ready for bed, his alarm system goes off due to an intruder. Lex's security guards rush him and Lana to a panic room. In the chaos, Lana sees Lex vanish before her eyes.
Chloe shows Clark reports of multiple strange deaths on a shipping barge in Seattle. While they are talking, Lana calls Chloe, extremely upset, and asks her to help her find Lex. Chloe looks to Clark for help but surprisingly, Clark decides to go to Seattle to confront the latest Zoner instead. He unconvincingly tells Chloe that he'll help find Lex when he returns. He takes the Crystal of El with him to defeat the phantom.
Lana and Chloe go to the mansion but they don't find anything. However, Lex is there and can hear them, but they can't see him. When they leave, Lex is confronted by Bronson, a patient in Level 33.1 who has escaped. He tells Lex that he has the ability to manipulate frequencies and has sent Lex to another frequency in revenge for being experimented on.
Lana is a basket case without Lex and Chloe enlists Jimmy Olsen's help. His father was an old ham radio buff and Jimmy has all of his ancient equipment. He examines Lex's security tape footage and is able to pick up a faint frequency of him talking. Chloe and Lana realize that Lex is probably trapped in the library of the mansion. Chloe stays to gain more information. She hacks into LuthorCorp's system to get floor plans, but finds that all of her files have been deleted. Lionel Luthor appears and Chloe knows he is responsible. She asks him about Level 33.1 but he brushes off her questions.
Lana goes back to the library and pours her heart out in case Lex can hear her. She tells him that she misses him so much and she doesn't want to raise their child alone. Lex's expression is unreadable at the news that she is pregnant.
In Seattle, Clark is appalled at the carnage on the docks of the ship and is dismayed to realize that whatever killed the crew is now on land. He poses as an assistant to the coroner to gain access to the crime scene. A hulking bald man, Aldar, is lurking on the docks and encounters a policeman. He kills the policeman by ripping his bones out. Clark confronts him and tries to use the Crystal, but it has no effect -- Aldar is a Phantom Zone prisoner, but not a phantom. Aldar then throws Clark across the dock and escapes. Clark realizes that the Zoner is even stronger than he is.
Chloe, Jimmy, and Lana are still trying to locate the frequency containing Lex when Lana gets a call from Bronson. He tells her that she will believe him when he shows her the lab. He takes her to Level 33.1, but it is an empty warehouse. He gets upset that someone cleared it all out and Lana tells him that she wants to be with Lex. They go back to the mansion and are transported to the frequency where Lex is. Lana and Lex are reunited. At the same time, Chloe and Jimmy take the antique radio equipment to the library to try to tune into the frequency. Bronson knocks Lana out and fights with Lex, who denies clearing out the laboratory. He finally stabs Bronson dead and goes to revive Lana. They embrace and as Chloe and Jimmy successfully tune into the right channel, Lana and Lex appear in front of them.
Back in Seattle, Clark has been looking for Aldar all day and it is now nightfall. He finds him again and Aldar picks him up, ready to rip his bones out. Just as Clark is almost finished, Aldar falls in agony, dead. Clark is shocked to see a hand print burned onto Aldar's back, then sees someone super speed away. As he gives chase, he steps on an Oreo TM cookie. He chases the entity to the dock. It faces him and its eyes glow. It takes flight, leaving a red streak in the sky. Clark returns to Smallville and finds another Oreo TM on the floor of his loft. Chloe arrives, because she was worried that Clark didn't answer his phone the whole time he was gone. He is cryptic and does not tell Chloe about the carnage he saw. He tells her that the Crystal didn't work, but someone saved him -- someone with powers greater than his. Chloe is concerned and doesn't understand why Clark is holding back. Clark just looks thoughtful.
Chloe, Jimmy, and Lana go back to Level 33.1 to see for themselves that it does not exist. Chloe is suspicious that it just disappeared, but Lana is indignant and declares that she trusts Lex's word.
Lionel confronts Lex and reveals that it was he who cleared out the warehouse and says that Lex owes him a share in whatever he is investigating. Lex goes home and tells Lana that he is thrilled that she is having his baby. He leads her into a room filled with roses and asks her to marry him.
- John Jones - While the following recurring character did appear, his face was not fully shown, nor was his actor credited.
- Aldar - Dave Batista
- Bronson - Elias Toufexis
- Seattle Police Officer - Dean Marshall
- Seattle Coroner - Carmen Moore
- Luthor Security Guard - Sean Millington
- Luthor Security Guard - Christian Vincent
- Static can either refer to an interference in the reception of a radio or television, or static electricity.
- The title refers to Bronson's ability to travel along different frequencies.
- Antagonist: Bronson and Aldar
- The entity that saves Clark is the DC Comics superhero Martian Manhunter. Although he cannot be seen clearly, he is recognizable by his heat vision, power of flight, and his snacking habits. Interestingly, he had prior knowledge about Aldar's vulnerability. It could very well mean that the two had an earlier encounter when the Martian Manhunter was a bounty hunter.
- Martha Kent and Lois Lane do not appear in this episode.
- Lionel quotes to Lana when she expresses concern for Lex that he is "aware how important you are to Lex." The way he said this suggests that he already knows Lana's not genuinely in love with Lex, and has only been using Lex's interest in her to get more information on Clark. It is known that Lana is a very convincing actress though Lionel may have been on to that fact right from the start.
- Clark says that Martian Manhunter had powers that he only could dream of. One of these powers is flight, a power which Clark has yet to master.
- Aldar is the third corporeal Phantom Zone escapee, after Gloria and Raya.
In Other Media
- The Martian Manhunter is the 28th DC Comics character to be adapted into the series.
- Aldar performs a move called 'the Backbreaker' on a dock worker. This is more commonly associated with the Batman villain Bane.
- Elias Toufexis previously appeared in the season three episode Asylum in a minor role as an inmate.
- Aldar, played by Dave Bautista, is the first Zoner played by a WWE wrestler. The second is Titan, played by Glenn Jacobs. These two actors are more commonly refered to as Batista and Kane, respectively.
- Level 33.1 is where Lex took Mikhail Mxyzptlk in Season Four's Jinx, and Molly Griggs in Season Three's Delete. It was discovered by Chloe Sullivan and Andrea Rojas in Vengeance Chronicles.
- This episode marks the 45th appearance of Clark's red jacket & blue shirt outfit, which he wears frequently throughout the series.
- Jimmy says his father was a ham radio buff. Ham radio is over 100 years old. Like today's podcasting, it is a hobby for amateur broadcasters in which they can communicate and entertain over public radio.
- The Martian Manhunter reappears in Labyrinth. He will make another appearence in Phantom where he reveals why he finally entered into Clark´s life at the docks after several years of watching him.
- Chloe: Lex just mysteriously disappeared.
- Clark: I have to go to Seattle.
- Chloe: Well, Clark, I know Lex isn't exactly your pick for man of the year, but you can't just turn your back on him.
- Clark: Chloe, there's innocent people in danger.
- Policeman: Who are you?
- Aldar: Someone who is hungry!
- Lionel: (to Lex) It says on the door out there that this is my office. My private office. Obviously that doesn't mean much to you.
- Aldar: (to Clark) Your blood must make you strong. I should taste it.
- Chloe: So, the crystal was a success?
- Clark: No, it wasn't.
- Chloe: Then did the Zoner just decide to pack up and leave the solar system?
- Clark: Someone else killed him-- someone who could do things I could only dream of.
|Episodes: Season 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7 · 8 · 9 · 10|