Super speed is the ability to move at superhuman speeds, often only appearing as a blur to others.
Kryptonian Super Speed
Unlike a great majority of Kryptonian powers and abilities that manifest because of unknown inner development, super speed appears to manifest early on and much like their superhuman strength, stamina, invulnerability and longevity: this ability seems to become immediately inherent after they get exposed to an environment under a yellow sun. All Kryptonians release or emit a certain aura color while super speeding. This ability is relatively easy to master. Kryptonian superspeed seems to most likely be a product of the super strength they possess. They utilize their immense strength to propel themselves at near limitless speeds.
Character Super Speed
- Clark Kent - This ability first manifested when he was younger but displayed heightened reflexes after the Kents picked him up from the cornfield.Clark can move and or react at speeds that far exceed the speed of sound barrier whether it is on land or underwater. Clark through accelerated vision perceives the entire world frozen. Now, Clark can run and fly at super-speed. While in flight he can be as fast as Impulse.
- Kara Kent - Kara can move and or react at speeds that far exceed the sound barrier whether it is on land or underwater.
- Jor-El - Jor-El was able to run and or exercise at speeds that greatly exceeded the sound barrier.
- Zor-El - Zor-El was able to run and or exercise at speeds that greatly exceeded the sound barrier.
- General Zod - Zod, by possessing a human's body, could run and or exercise at speeds that greatly exceeded the sound barrier.
- Faora - Faora, by possessing a human's body, could run and or exercise at speeds that greatly exceeded the sound barrier.
- Raya - Raya was able to run and or exercise at speeds that greatly exceeded the sound barrier.
- Disciples of Zod - They both were able to run and or exercise at speeds that greatly exceeded the sound barrier.
- Davis Bloome - Davis could, much like Clark Kent, move with superhuman speed.
- Alia - Alia can run and or exercise at speeds that greatly exceeds the sound barrier.
- Major Zod - Major Zod can run and or exercise at speeds that greatly exceeds the sound barrier.
- Conner Kent - Conner, because he has half of Clark's Kryptonian DNA, can run and exercise at extreme superhuman speeds that exceeds the sound barrier, although he isn't nearly as fast as Clark and/or a full Kryptonian.
- Aldar - Aldar seemed capable of superhuman speed..
- Baern - Baern, by possessing a Human's body, could run at speeds that greatly exceeded the sound barrier.
- Bizarro - Bizarro, after replicating some of Clark Kent's DNA strands, could run and or exercise at speeds that greatly exceeded the sound barrier.
- Maxima - Maxima, much like Kryptonians, can run with superhuman speed.
- Martian Manhunter - John, as a Martian, can run at hyper-sonic speeds.
- Greg Arkin - Greg can vanish and reappear somewhere else in the blink of an eye, although he is not nearly as fast as Kryptonians.
- Emily Dinsmore - Emily's kryptonite-inspired physiology meant that she could run at great super-sonic speeds that rivalled the capabilities of a teenage Clark Kent.
- Randy Klein -
- Rudy Jones - Rudy could move in super speed after absorbing Clark's powers.
- Eric Summers - Eric, after he gets Clark's abilities through a power swap, could move at speeds that greatly exceeded the sound barrier.
- Jeremiah Holdsclaw - Jeremiah, while holding the Starblade, could run faster than humans and proved to be as fast as Kryptonians.
- Jonathan Kent - Jonathan gained Jor-El's speed to retrieve Clark and bring him home.
- Bart Allen - Bart can easily run and or exercise at speeds that greatly exceeds the speed of light itself, making him the fastest being by far, other than Jay Garrick, in the world. He is much faster than Clark, as shown in the episode. Bart can exceed a Kryptonian's top speed simply by light jogging. Run.
- Wes Keenan - gained super speed likely from the genetic material of Emily Dinsmore.
- Lana Lang - Lana currently wears a specialized nano-suit that grants the wearer extraordinary powers, including super speed. She is capable of moving her body at incredible speeds and is one of the fastest entity on earth, she can also perceive the world in slow-motion while she's moving at super speed.
- Arthur Curry - Arthur, while underwater, can run along the sea floor, swim, or exercise at speeds that greatly exceeds the sound barrier.
- Mera - Mera, while underwater, can run along the sea floor, swim, or exercise at speeds that greatly exceeds the sound barrier.
- Lindsey Harrison - Lindsey, through Jor-El, was able to run and or exercise at speeds that greatly exceeded the sound barrier.
- Jay Garrick - Jay can easily run and or exercise at speeds that greatly exceeds the speed of light itself, making him one of the fastest entities, other than Bart Allen, in the world.
- Jor-El - Jor-El, as an artificial entity, or spirit, can posses humans wherein he can move and react faster than the speed of sound while in their bodies.
- Black Flash - The Black Flash, being a manifestation of death to those connected to the Speed Force, can easily reach Bart Allen's level of superspeed.
- Brainiac - Brainiac, as a Kryptonian machine, can move and react faster than the human eye can see and follow. He could do this even when possessing Chloe Sullivan's body.
- Clark: Where exactly did you find the body?
- Chloe: Just up the road about a quarter-mile. (Clark super speeds away) Well, I guess I'll meet you there.
- Season Six, Wither
- (Clark runs away at super speed)
- Chloe: Do you ever get used to that?
- Martha: Not really.
- Season Six, Prototype
- Bart: None of that matters cause I'll be a thousand miles before you could even blink.
- Clark: I don't know, I can blink pretty fast.
- Season Four, Run
- (Clark super speeds while on the phone with Lois)
- Lois: What was that whooshing sound?
- Clark: Nothing... I, uh, just had the truck window open.
- Season Nine, Warrior
In the Comics
In the comics, super speed, or heightened speed, is a common ability amongst speedsters and depending on the entity, the potential capacity of this ability will vary greatly. Superman can move and exercise at speeds that greatly exceeds that of the speed of light itself and currently, he is so fast that he won't even leave a streak behind him, unless he isn't using this ability to its fullest. He can also reverse the rotation of Earth to turn back the cordial of time by flying extremely fast around the Earth. The Flash can move extremely fast, to the point where he outclasses Superman in races most of the time, though sometimes, they break a tie with one another. He can also reset time with his speed. J'onn J'onzz can also move very fast and has hyper reflexes. Darkseid possess enhanced speed compared to humans, but compared to speedsters, he is slow, although he sometimes surprises Superman by quickly appearing behind him.
- When Clark is at super speed and the world is moving at normal speed, producers refer to his perspective as "Clark time".
- It can be noted that every character with super speed has a different color flash behind them sometimes independent on the color of their attire. Clark Kent, in his younger years, emitted a yellow and white aura, a blue aura as the Red-Blue Blur then as the Blur, he emitted a black aura. Kara has red and blue, white in her first appearance, Bart Allen has a red streak, Zod in Lex's body has orange, Lana has a faint purple aura in Wrath and a burning orange aura in Power, Raya has yellow, Maxima has green, Bizarro and Brainiac had black, Doomsday has dark grey, Alia has white, Stephen Swift has gold, Major Zod has white/yellow.
- It should be noted that, as the series progressed, so did Clark's speed. Starting in Season 1, he was considerably faster than humans, however he did not excrete an aura. In Season 2, a whiz of wind echoed from his construct. In Season 3 aura pulsations are finally released.
- It seems that characters that are faster than others get their aura pulsation before them.
|Clark Kent's powers and abilities in Smallville|