X-ray vision is the ability to see through objects, beings, and structures.
Kryptonians can see through any type of matter, like clothes, bricks, mortar, metal, and even through a being's inner skeleton structure complexion, but not through lead. It appears that Kryptonians can only use the X-ray aspect while it is first developing, and can later use it without it.
The ability appears to require active concentration.
Characters who have displayed x-ray vision
- Clark Kent: This ability first manifested in X-Ray. Clark can see through any type of matter ranging in objects, humans, and animals, but he can't see through lead. Clark can also see through things in color as well. (Leech, Kinetic, Red, Rush, Hex, Warrior, Finale, Part 2) It was implied by Lois Lane that Clark can use this ability while he is moving at superhuman speeds. (Masquerade)
- Kara Kent: Kara can see through any type of matter except for lead. (Fierce)
- Aethyr: She easily detected that Lex Luthor had the Key in his hand. (Arrival)
- Clark Luthor: Clark's x-ray vision seemingly works in the same fashion as his counterpart's. On one occasion he is shown to be using the ability to see Chloe hiding behind a teacher's desk. (Haunted)
- Season One: X-Ray, Cool, Hourglass, Craving, Jitters, Shimmer, Rogue, Hug, Kinetic, Zero, Stray, Reaper, Drone, Obscura
- Season Two: Vortex, Red, Nocturne, Redux, Lineage, Dichotic, Visage, Insurgence, Suspect, Rush, Prodigal, Precipice, Witness, Accelerate
- Season Three: Extinction, Slumber, Velocity, Obsession, Crisis, Legacy, Memoria, Forsaken
- Season Four: Crusade, Gone, Run, Jinx, Bound, Recruit, Krypto, Sacred, Blank
- Season Five: Splinter, Fanatic, Lockdown, Tomb, Cyborg, Mercy
- Season Six: Sneeze, Subterranean, Freak, Progeny
- Season Seven: Action
- Season Eight: Bulletproof, Turbulence
- Season Nine: Echo, Disciple, Warrior
- Season Ten: Patriot, Finale, Part 2
- Season Eleven: Guardian, Detective, Haunted, Olympus
- Smallville Miniseries: Alien
- Within the series, only Kryptonians are shown to possess it. Martians may possess this ability; however, John Jones has yet to demonstrate it.
- Every time X-ray vision is used, there is a unique sound effect, no matter whether the X-ray image is shown.
- Most of the time, images from X-ray vision resembles real-life X-ray photos (thus having, the colors blue, white and black); however, Clark has used the traditional "see-through vision" a few times, including when he accidentally looked into the girl's locker room in X-Ray, and as Kal, intentionally saw through Lana and Chloe's clothes in Red.
In The Comics
Superman's vast senses grant him the ability to see through solid objects, usually with the exception of lead. Explanations for how this power works vary, but rarely include the emission and perception of actual X-rays, as such high-energy radiation would actually be dangerous to living things he uses it on. A more common theory involves being able to see and concentrate on the patterns of natural cosmic radiation as it reverberates off objects.
|Clark Kent's powers and abilities in Smallville|